Parental Guidance (film)
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Andy Fickman|
|Produced by||Billy Crystal |
|Written by||Lisa Addario |
|Starring||Billy Crystal |
Tom Everett Scott
Kyle Harrison Breitkopf
|Music by||Marc Shaiman|
|Editing by||Kent Beyda|
|Studio||Walden Media |
|Distributed by||20th Century Fox|
|Release date(s)|| |
|Running time||105 minutes|
Parental Guidance (previously titled Us & Them) is a 2012 American family-comedy film starring Billy Crystal, Bette Midler, Marisa Tomei and Tom Everett Scott and directed by Andy Fickman. The film was released on December 25, 2012.
Artie is fired from being an announcer of a baseball team because he is old schooled, meaning he doesn't know about the new technology or how to use it. Artie is very upset, because he was the best at the job. Meanwhile, Alice and her husband decide to go on a honeymoon. Alice wants her husband's parents to look after the kids, but disappointed when the grandparents are busy. They don't want to let Alice's parents (Artie and Diane) to look after the children because they are "weird". Diane agrees to go, while Artie refuses. Artie and Diane agree to visit Atlanta to look after their three grandchildren when their other grandparents (type-A helicopter parents) need to leave town for work. They notice that the pictures Alice posted were not their own pictures, but the other grandparents pictures. Diane is determined to prove to her grandchildren that they aren't just the 'other grandparents'. Problems arise when the kids' 21st-century behaviors collide with Artie and Diane's old-school methods. Although at the beginning of the week, Alice doesn't trust her parents to look after her kids, by the end they become more than just the 'other grandparents'.
Artie tells his grandchildren to call him Artie and never "Grandpa", because he was always called Artie. Artie is nicknamed Fartie by the youngest child, Parker, who is very defiant and cheeky. Harper is very tense for a violin audition, her grandmother tells her she should have some fun and not worry about her audition, while Alice disagrees until later when she realizes that Harper doesn't want to audition. Turner has speech classes due to a stutter but with the help of his grandfather, he overcomes this.
- Billy Crystal as Artie Decker
- Bette Midler as Diane Decker
- Marisa Tomei as Alice Decker Simmons
- Tom Everett Scott as Phil Simmons
- Bailee Madison as Harper Simmons
- Joshua Rush as Turner Simmons
- Kyle Harrison Breitkopf as Barker Simmons
- Gedde Watanabe as Mr. Cheng
- Cade Jones as Ivan
- Maverick Moreno as Cody
- Madison Lintz as Ashley
- Karan Kendrick as Preschool Mom
- Tony Hawk as Himself
- Steve Levy as Himself
Parental Guidance was released on December 25, 2012 in the United States and Canada and on December 26, 2012 in Australia, the United Kingdom and Ireland. Its international release spans from 25 December 2012 to 11 July 2013, with the first 2013 release on January 3, 2013 in the Dominican Republic, Venezuela, and Singapore.
 Home media
The film received unfavorable reviews from certain critics, with a 19% rating on Rotten Tomatoes based on 81 reviews, with the consensus stating: "Parental Guidance is sweet but milquetoast, an inoffensive trifle that's blandly predictable". Despite the reviews, box office totals for the movie were higher than expected.
- "PARENTAL GUIDANCE (U)". British Board of Film Classification. 2012-11-30. Retrieved 2012-11-30.
- Box Office Mojo: Parental Guidance (2012)
- "Marisa Tomei Joins Bette Midler and Billy Crystal in 'Us and Them'". Moviefone.com. 2012-9-15. Retrieved 2013-1-1.
- "2012 Movies Preview: 'Hunger Games' 'The Dark Knight Rises' 'Avengers' & More". Huffington Post. AOL, Inc. Retrieved 2012-6-16.
- "Fox Moves Billy Crystal’s ‘Parental Guidance’ To Christmas Day". Deadline.com (PMC). Retrieved 2012-6-16.
- "Fox Moves Billy Crystal Comedy Parental Guidance Release Date To Christmas". CinemaBlend.com. Retrieved 2012-6-16.
- Via Press: Parental Guidance - Release Dates
- Amazon: Parental Guidance
- LA Times: Movie box-office totals for 2012 projected to set record Retrieved January 2, 2013
- Official website
- Official trailer
- Parental Guidance at the Internet Movie Database
- Parental Guidance at AllRovi
- Parental Guidance at Rotten Tomatoes
- Parental Guidance at Box Office Mojo