Josh Robert Thompson
|Josh Robert Thompson|
|Born|| March 11, 1975 |
Cleveland, Ohio, U.S.
|Other names||J. Robert Thompson|
|Occupation||Actor, impressionist, comedian|
Josh Robert Thompson (born March 11, 1975) is an American actor, voice actor, impressionist and comedian. Thompson is known for his celebrity impressions, including Robert De Niro, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Wilford Brimley, Willie Nelson, Sylvester Stallone, Matthew McConaughey and Morgan Freeman. His most notable role has been on The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson, portraying the original character Geoff Peterson.
- 1 Early life
- 2 Breakthrough
- 3 Beyond the Voice
- 4 Original characters
- 5 Filmography
- 6 References
- 7 External links
Thompson’s Arnold Schwarzenegger impression first gained national attention during the California recall election of 2003. Posing as Schwarzenegger, Thompson phoned in to Fox News Channel’s morning program, Fox and Friends, fooling the hosts into believing (at least for a short while) that he was, in fact, Schwarzenegger himself.
The Howard Stern Show and other radio appearances
Thompson’s Fox News prank caught the attention of The Howard Stern Show, and the impression—dubbed “Fake Arnold” by Stern Show producers—soon became a mainstay on the program. At this time, Thompson also made a number of appearances on the Conway and Steckler and Conway and Whitman radio shows in Los Angeles (97.1 FM KLSX), and 96fm’s Breakfast show in Perth, Western Australia, where he voiced a number of characters, including Fake Arnold, Robert De Niro, Sylvester Stallone, Michael Jackson, and Bill Cosby.
Notable Howard Stern Show moments
- In April 2005 on The Howard Stern Show, Thompson’s “Fake Arnold” character proposed a fictitious plan to “blow up the moon.” Surprisingly, Fake Arnold’s phony agenda managed to dupe MSNBC’s Joe Scarborough, who appeared soon after on his television program, publicly lambasting the “Governor” for his alleged plan. Ten days later, Scarborough, after learning that the entire moon destruction scenario was a hoax, apologized on-air for his erroneous comments.
- On January 10, 2006, one day after The Howard Stern Show’s debut on Sirius Satellite Radio, Thompson fooled Star Trek actor George Takei into believing he was actually speaking with Governor Schwarzenegger. Several minutes after the phone call with Fake Arnold ended, Takei was finally let in on the joke. One year later, on January 9, 2007, Fake Arnold’s prank on George Takei was ranked sixth of the Top 10 best moments from The Howard Stern Show in 2006.
Beyond the Voice
The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson
In February 2007, Thompson made his first on-camera television appearance as Governor Schwarzenegger on The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson (CBS). Since then, Thompson has become a regular performer on the show, making regular appearances as actor Robert De Niro, Frat Guy, Brian Deese, Levi Johnston and the voice of Morgan Freeman.
Starting April 20, 2010, Thompson voiced Craig's robot skeleton sidekick, Geoff Peterson, originally using prerecorded clips of a vaguely George Takei-sounding voice. Approximately one year later, Thompson began to occasionally voice and perform Geoff live in-studio. On May 16, 2011, in what was possibly a backdoor audition, Thompson performed Geoff in an actual guest spot. Beginning June 29, 2011, Thompson has been voicing and performing Geoff in person for every episode, including those filmed in Paris, France, that aired the week of August 1, 2011, and those filmed in Craig's hometown and home country of Scotland, that aired the week of May 15, 2012.
Since Thompson began voicing Geoff Peterson live, he has incorporated several of his own impressions into the character's repertoire. He also performed his Morgan Freeman impression for Freeman himself on June 10, 2011, asking the amazed actor "Would you like to hear my Morgan Freeman voice?" and "What would you like to say to yourself?" Freeman called the impression "outstanding."
More Than Freeman
As of late 2010, Thompson is appearing in the advertisements for More Than insurance, doing his Morgan Freeman impression. In an attempt to give the ad more legitimacy, Thompson's character is named More Than Freeman.
As a standup comic, Thompson is known for controversial and outrageous stage personas like crooked televangelist Apostle BG, Darnell the Janitor, Luis "Confrontational By Nature" Valdez, and product pitchman-turned-cabaret singer Robin Sooper.
- Family Guy (2011), various
- The Cleveland Show (2011), various
- American Dad! (2011), various
- More Than Insurance TV adverts (2011), Morethan Freeman
- Jimmy Kimmel Live! (2009), Alex Trebek (voice)
- True Beauty (TV series) (2009), Clothing Store Clerk
- The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson (2007-Present), Geoff Peterson/Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger/Robert De Niro/Additional Characters
- The Emperor's New School (2006), Friendly Joe (voice)
- The Princes of Malibu (2005), Himself/Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger (voice)
- The Howard Stern Show (2003-2011), "Fake" Arnold Schwarzenegger (voice)
- The Tonight Show with Jay Leno (2000), Himself
- Lego City Undercover (2013), Blue Whittaker (voice)
- NCIS: The Video Game (2011), Leroy Jethro Gibbs (voice)
- Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep (2010), Prince Phillip (voice)
- Final Fantasy XIII (2010), Rygdea (voice)
- G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra (video game) (2009), General Hawk (voice)
- Dead to Rights: Retribution (2009), Various Characters (voice)
- James Cameron's Avatar: The Game (2009), Various Characters (voice)
- Brütal Legend (2009), Healer/Additional Characters (voice)
- Up (2009), Various Dogs (voice)
- Free Realms (2009), Goblin/Yeti/Dog/Additional Characters (voice)
- Bolt (2008), (voice)
- WALL-E (2008), Human Male (voice)
- Call of Duty: World at War (2008), U.S. Soldier (voice)
- Elements of Destruction (2008), Dr. Edgar Herbert (voice)
- Rise and Fall: Civilizations at War (2006), Alexander the Great/Emperor Octavian (voice)
- Disney's Chicken Little: Ace in Action (2006), Sleazel Weazel (voice)
- Bigger, Stronger, Faster* (2008), Himself/Arnold Schwarzenegger (voice)
- Yogi Bear (2010), Narrator (voice)
- Scary Movie 5 (2013), Narrator (voice)
- "Can I Have Your Autograph Please? - Fake Arnold". Dean's Planet. Archived from the original on February 4, 2010. via Wayback Machine
- "Host Gets Fooled By Arnold Impersonator". The Radio Equalizer.
- Freeman talks to himself
- Josh Robert Thompson at the Internet Movie Database
- Josh Robert Thompson's official website
- Josh Robert Thompson on YouTube
- Josh Robert Thompson on Facebook
- Josh Robert Thompson on Twitter
- Dean's Planet interview