Lively at the Green Lantern premiere, June 15, 2011
|Born||Blake Ellender Brown |
August 25, 1987
Tarzana, Los Angeles, California, U.S.
|Spouse(s)||Ryan Reynolds (m. 2012)|
Blake Ellender Lively (born Blake Ellender Brown; August 25, 1987) is an American actress and model who starred as Serena van der Woodsen in the television teen drama series Gossip Girl. She has also appeared in movies, including Accepted, The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, The Private Lives of Pippa Lee, The Town, Green Lantern, and Savages.
 Early life
Lively was born in Tarzana, Los Angeles, California, the daughter of actors Elaine Lively (née McAlpin) and Ernie Lively (born Ernest W. Brown). She was raised as a Southern Baptist. She is the youngest of five children: she has an older brother, Eric, two half-sisters, Lori and Robyn, and a half-brother, Jason. Both of her parents and all of her siblings are, or have been, in the entertainment industry. During Lively's childhood, her parents took her with them to acting classes that they taught because they did not want to leave her with a babysitter. Lively said that watching her parents teach acting classes helped her learn the "drills" of acting and gain confidence as she got older.
Lively was initially not particularly interested in acting. During the summer between her junior and senior years of high school, her brother Eric asked his agent to send her on a few auditions over a period of a few months. From these few auditions, she got the role of Bridget for The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants. Lively filmed her scenes in The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants between her junior and senior years at Burbank High School.
Lively began her acting career at age 11, when she appeared in the 1998 film Sandman, which was directed by Lively's father. Lively describes her role in the film as having been a "bit part". Lively appeared in the film adaptation of the novel of the same name, The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, in 2005 as Bridget, one of the four female leads. Lively's performance in the film earned her a nomination for a Teen Choice Award for "Choice Movie Breakout – Female.
In 2006, she co-starred with Justin Long in Accepted, and Lively had minor roles in the horror film, Simon Says. While Accepted was not well received by critics, Lively's performance was, earning her a 'Breakthrough Award' from Hollywood Life. In 2007, Lively played one of the two title characters in Elvis and Anabelle as Anabelle, a bulimic girl who hoped to win a beauty pageant. Lively said of getting into character for the role that she had 'shed serious weight' for her height. Lively stated that that process was difficult for her because food is “the No. 1 love of my life.” MovieLine.com praised her performance in the film and credited it as having been her "breakthrough role".
Lively was cast in the CW's series Gossip Girl, based on the book series of the same name by Cecily von Ziegesar, which premiered in September 2007. She played Serena van der Woodsen in the teen drama. Her first magazine cover was the November 2007 issue of Cosmo Girl, where she discussed her time in high school and her career prior to Gossip Girl.
In 2008, Lively reprised her role in the sequel, The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2. Similar to the first film, Lively was positively received by critics. As of November 2009, the film had earned over $44 million at the box office. In 2009, Lively appeared as Gabrielle DiMarco, a minor role in the romantic comedy, New York, I Love You, a sequel to the 2006 film Paris, je t'aime. Despite positive reception from critics, the film had a poor box office performance.
One of Lively's most acclaimed roles to date is her supporting role playing the younger version of the title character in The Private Lives of Pippa Lee (2009). Paul Byrnes, of the Brisbane Times, described Lively's performance in the film as being "sensational". In October 2009, Lively began filming her scenes for her role as Krista Coughlin, in the 2010 film The Town, based on Chuck Hogan's novel Prince of Thieves. In the film, Lively's role has been described as "the sister of Jem and Doug's ex-girlfriend who has a 19-month old daughter, Shyne." The film, which also stars Ben Affleck, was released in the United States on September 17, 2010 to critical acclaim. In an interview with Marie Claire, Lively stated that she wasn't relying on her career as an actress, that having her own interior decorating firm could be a substitute as a back-up plan, and because of her "fascination" with "colors and textures and layering things."
Lively played Carol Ferris, the female lead and love interest of Hal Jordan in the superhero film Green Lantern, which was released in June 2011. The film grossed a worldwide total of $219,851,172. but was considered as a summer flop as it "failed to perform to expectations" even though it grossed more than its budget. Lively appeared in the music video for The Lonely Island's "I Just Had Sex" together with Jessica Alba in December 2010.
In 2012, she starred in Oliver Stone's Savages alongside Taylor Kitsch, Aaron Johnson, Salma Hayek, and John Travolta. HitFix film critic Drew McWeeny was positive of Lively's work which he described as "smart and sad precisely because she plays O as such a broken, needy little soul". Lively was originally considered for the lead role in Steven Soderbergh's The Side Effects. It was later reported that Rooney Mara would replace her. Also in 2012, Lively was chosen as the face of the new Gucci fragrance titled Gucci Premiere. She appeared in a short film ad directed by Nicolas Winding Refn for the fragrance.
 Personal life
During the 2008 United States presidential election, Lively expressed her support for Barack Obama. Lively and Penn Badgley appeared in a pro-Obama commercial, as part of MoveOn.org's Youth Vote program. The commercial, directed by Doug Liman, aired during Gossip Girl on CW, MTV and Comedy Central.
In 2011, she was featured in the annual TIME magazine 100 influential people. Additionally, AskMen.com named her the most desirable woman of 2011  and People magazine named her one of 2012's Most Beautiful at Every Age.
Lively began dating her Green Lantern co-star, Ryan Reynolds, in October 2011. In June 2012 she and Reynolds purchased a cottage in Bedford, New York, for $2 million. The couple married on September 9, 2012, at Boone Hall in Mount Pleasant, South Carolina.
|2005||The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants||Bridget Vreeland|
|2007||Elvis and Anabelle||Anabelle Leigh|
|2008||The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2||Bridget Vreeland|
|2009||New York, I Love You||Gabrielle DiMarco|
|2009||The Private Lives of Pippa Lee||Young Pippa Lee|
|2010||The Town||Krista Coughlin|
|2011||Green Lantern||Carol Ferris|
|2012||Savages||Ophelia "O" Sage|
|2007–2012||Gossip Girl||Serena van der Woodsen||Series regular|
|2008–2010||Saturday Night Live|| || |
 Awards and nominations
|2005||Teen Choice Awards||Choice Movie Breakout Female||The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants||Nominated|
|2008||Teen Choice Awards||Choice Female Hottie||Nominated|
|2008||Teen Choice Awards||Choice TV Actress Drama||Gossip Girl||Won|
|2008||Teen Choice Awards||Choice TV Breakout Star-Female||Gossip Girl||Won|
|2008||Newport Beach Film Festival||Achievement Award-Breakout Performance||Elvis and Anabelle||Won|
|2009||Prism Awards||Performances in a Drama Episode||Gossip Girl||Nominated|
|2009||Teen Choice Awards||Choice TV Actress Drama||Gossip Girl||Nominated|
|2010||People's Choice Awards||Favorite TV Drama Actress||Gossip Girl||Nominated|
|2010||Teen Choice Awards||Choice TV Actress Drama||Gossip Girl||Nominated|
|2010||Broadcast Film Critics Association Awards||Best Acting Ensemble||The Town||Nominated|
|2010||National Board of Review||Best Ensemble Cast||The Town||Won|
|2010||San Diego Film Critics Society||Best Supporting Actress||The Town||Nominated|
|2010||Washington D.C. Area Film Critics Association||Best Ensemble||The Town||Won|
|2011||People's Choice Award||Favorite TV Drama Actress||Gossip Girl||Nominated|
|2011||Teen Choice Awards||Choice Movie Actress Sci Fi/Fantasy||Green Lantern||Nominated|
|2011||Teen Choice Awards||Choice TV Actress Drama||Gossip Girl||Won|
- Finn, Natalie (Sep. 17, 2012). "Blake Lively and Ryan Reynolds: Marriage Certificate Shows They Wed Days After Secret Ceremony". E! Entertainment Television. http://ca.eonline.com/news/346615/blake-lively-and-ryan-reynolds-secretly-married-not-once-but-twice. Retrieved March 9, 2013.
- According to the State of California. California Birth Index, 1905–1995. Center for Health Statistics, California Department of Health Services, Sacramento, California. Searchable at Family Tree Legends
- "NewsBank for AJC | www.ajc.com". Nl.newsbank.com. http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Archives?p_product=AT&p_theme=at&p_action=search&p_maxdocs=200&p_topdoc=1&p_text_direct-0=0EB7D41EF44C9114&p_field_direct-0=document_id&p_perpage=10&p_sort=YMD_date:D&s_trackval=GooglePM. Retrieved 2012-09-10.
- "The Talk of The Town" Nylon (May 2008) magazine
- Miller, Rebecca (2009-12). "Blake Lively Grows Up". Marie Claire. http://www.marieclaire.com/celebrity-lifestyle/celebrities/interviews/blake-lively-interview?click=main_sr. Retrieved 2009-11-13.
- "Celebrity siblings". Glamour Magazine. http://www.glamourmagazine.co.uk/celebrity/celebrity-galleries/2010/05/27/celebrity-siblings#!image-number=45. Retrieved February 25, 2013.
- Wood, Dana (2008-12). "Blake Lively's After School Activities (p. 1)". W. http://www.wmagazine.com/celebrities/2008/12/blake_lively?currentPage=1. Retrieved 2009-11-15.
- Dana Wood (2008-12). "Blake Lively's After School Activities (Page 2)". W. http://www.wmagazine.com/celebrities/2008/12/blake_lively?currentPage=2. Retrieved 2009-11-15.
- Allure Magazine. "The Anti-Gossip Girl". 2009-05.
- "Awards for Blake Lively". Internet Movie Database. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0515116/awards. Retrieved December 6, 2012.
- Wood, Dana (2008-12). "Blake Lively's After School Activities (Page 4)". W. http://www.wmagazine.com/celebrities/2008/12/blake_lively?currentPage=4. Retrieved 2009-11-15.
- Adams, Michael (September 9, 2009). "Remembering Elvis and Anabelle: Blake Lively's Real Breakthrough". Movie Line. http://www.movieline.com/2009/09/remembering-elvis-and-annabelle----blake-livelys-real-breakthrough.php. Retrieved 2009-11-13.
- "Showbiz people briefs". Reuters. Retrieved 2006-04-12.
- Cosmo Girl magazine (November 2007).
- Tabouring, Franck (August 8, 2008). "Review: "The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2"". Screening Blogs. http://www.screeninglog.com/journal/2008/8/8/review-the-sisterhood-of-the-traveling-pants-2.html. Retrieved 2009-11-13.
- Lumenick, Lou (August 6, 2008). "Sequels Wear Well". NY Post. Retrieved 2009-11-13.
- "The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2". Box Office Mojo. http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=travelingpants2.htm. Retrieved 2009-11-14.
- Loder, Kurt (October 16, 2009). "'New York, I Love You': Out-Of-Towners". MTV. http://www.mtv.com/movies/news/articles/1624006/story.jhtml. Retrieved 2009-11-13.
- Tabouring, Franck (October 12, 2009). "Movie Review: 'New York, I Love You'". Screening Blogs. http://www.screeninglog.com/journal/2009/10/16/movie-review-new-york-i-love-you.html. Retrieved 2009-11-13.
- Pomeranz, Margaret (2009-10). "The Private Lives of Pippa Lee". ABC News. http://www.abc.net.au/atthemovies/txt/s2709684.htm. Retrieved 2009-11-13.
- Byrnes, Paul (October 20, 2009). "The Private Lives Of Pippa Lee". Brisbane Times. http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/entertainment/the-private-lives-of-pippa-lee-20091023-hc7v.html. Retrieved 2009-11-13.
- "Blake Lively Goes to ‘Town’ for Ben Affleck". Film School Rejects. September 5, 2009. http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/news/blake-lively-goes-to-town-for-ben-affleck-neilm.php. Retrieved 2009-11-13.
- Kit, Borys (August 26, 2009). "Blake Lively going to 'Town' for WB, Legendary". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2009-09-16. [dead link]
- "Lively Wants To Become Interior Decorator". IMDb. November 13, 2009. http://www.imdb.com/news/ni1189471. Retrieved 2009-11-14.
- "Blake Lively Brightens Up Green Lantern". E! Online. http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b161247_blake_lively_brightens_up_green_lantern.html. Retrieved 2010-03-27.
- "Green Lantern (2011)". Box Office Mojo. http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=greenlantern.htm. Retrieved February 4, 2012.
- Thompson, Paul (September 5, 2011). "Summer of flops: How A-list stars failed to save Hollywood from more box office disappointment". Daily Mail. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2034058/Summer-flops-A-list-stars-fail-save-Hollywood-disappointment-box-office.html. Retrieved February 4, 2012.
- "The Lonely Island – I Just Had Sex (feat. Akon)". http://www.thelonelyisland.com/video/i-just-had-sex. Retrieved 2010-02-06.
- McWeeny, Drew (June 30, 2012). "Review: Oliver Stone turns Aaron Johnson, Taylor Kitsch, and Blake Lively into 'Savages'". HitFix. http://www.hitfix.com/motion-captured/review-oliver-stone-turns-aaron-johnson-taylor-kitsch-and-blake-lively-into-savages. Retrieved August 24, 2012.
- Lyttelton, Oliver (January 9, 2012). "Exclusive: Blake Lively, Jude Law & Channing Tatum Will Lead Steven Soderbergh's 'The Side Effects'". indieWire. http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/exclusive-blake-lively-jude-law-channing-tatum-will-lead-steven-soderberghs-the-side-effects. Retrieved January 19, 2012.
- Fleming, Mike (January 30, 2012). "Rooney Mara Takes Lead In Steven Soderbergh’s ‘Side Effects’". Deadline.com. http://www.deadline.com/2012/01/rooney-mara-takes-lead-in-steven-soderberghs-side-effects/. Retrieved February 4, 2012.
- Blake Lively To Be Directed By Nicolas Winding Refn In A Gucci Short Film
- "Blake Lively & Penn Badgley Go for Laughs in Pro-Obama Ad". People. October 14, 2008. http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20232838,00.html. Retrieved 2011-06-20.
- "The 2011 TIME 100". People. April 21, 2011. Retrieved 2011-06-03.
- "Why Blake Lively Is No.1" Top 99 for 2011, AskMen.com
- Karen J. Quan (April 20, 2012). "2012 Most Beautiful at Every Age – Blake Lively". People. http://www.people.com/people/package/gallery/0,,20360857_20360861,00.html#20612289. Retrieved April 25, 2012.
- "Blake Lively Biography". People. http://www.people.com/people/blake_lively/biography. Retrieved 2009-11-13.
- "Blake Lively Match Isn't Just 'Gossip'". New York Daily News. December 24, 2007. Retrieved 2009-11-13.
- "Exclusive: Blake & Penn's Romantic Getaway". People. May 13, 2008. http://www.people.com/people/gallery/0,,20199754,00.html.
- "Give Her A Hand". People. July 8, 2008. http://www.people.com/people/gallery/0,,20210739_14,00.html. Retrieved 2009-11-13.
- "Blake Lively, Ryan Reynolds House Hunting in Connecticut!". US Weekly. April 19, 2012. http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/blake-lively-ryan-reynolds-house-hunting-in-connecticut-2012194. Retrieved May 8, 2012.
- "Blake Lively & Ryan Reynolds Buy a 'Country Home' Together: Source". http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20589290,00.html. Retrieved June 4, 2012.
- "Blake Lively & Ryan Reynolds Are Married". September 9, 2012. http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20628487,00.html.
- 2011 Time 100: Blakely Lively, Baz Luhrmann, Time, April 21, 2011
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Blake Lively|