Montgomery, March 2009
|Born||Poppy Petal Emma Elizabeth Deveraux Donahue |
19 June 1975
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
|Partner(s)||Adam Kaufman (2005–2011) |
Shawn Sanford (2011–present)
Poppy Montgomery (born Poppy Petal Emma Elizabeth Deveraux Donahue; 19 June 1975) is an Australian actress. She is known for playing the role of FBI agent Samantha Spade on the CBS mystery drama Without a Trace and her latest television role as Det. Carrie Wells on the CBS police drama Unforgettable.
Montgomery was born in Sydney, New South Wales, Australia, to Nicola (née Montgomery), an executive and market researcher, and Phil Donahue, a restaurateur. She is one of six children and her parents named her and her sisters (Rosie Thorn, Daisy Yellow, Lily Belle, and Marigold Sun) after flowers, and their brother after the rock band Jethro Tull.
Montgomery hated school, being expelled from six private academies before finally dropping out at the age of fifteen to pursue stage acting and to also travel around Bali with her boyfriend at the time. Montgomery emigrated to the United States at the age of eighteen, arriving in Florida to meet a boyfriend whom she had met when he was an exchange student. After five days, she realized that "[she] couldn't stand him" and then took a bus to Los Angeles to pursue an acting career.
When Montgomery arrived in Los Angeles, she stayed with two of her brother's friends while sending a head shot every day to Julia Roberts's former manager, Bob McGowan, until he signed her. She appeared in several small television roles through the late-1990s, including NYPD Blue. Her first big break was when she won the role of Marilyn Monroe in the 2001 CBS mini-series Blonde, based on the novel by Joyce Carol Oates. The next role she was offered was a starring role as Samantha Spade on the CBS mystery drama Without a Trace, where she was picked out of over one hundred actresses. The series centered around a missing persons unit of the FBI. On being offered the part, she later said, "They (the producers) called me up and said, 'Will you do it?' I said, 'Um' and they said, 'Anthony LaPaglia is in it' and I said, 'sure'. It was that simple." Montgomery portrayed Samantha Spade from when the show began on 26 September 2002 for seven seasons until it ended on 19 May 2009
In April 2011, Montgomery completed filming a television biographical film Magic Beyond Words, playing Harry Potter author J. K. Rowling. In September 2011, she began to star in the CBS police procedural drama Unforgettable, playing Carrie Wells, a former Syracuse NYPD homicide detective with hyperthymesia which allows her to have perfect recall, who is convinced to rejoin the NYPD by her ex-boyfriend, after leaving Syracuse because of her sister's murder. She uses her unusually detailed memory to solve crimes. Until the debut of ABC's new family-oriented, late-arriving, Sunday night fairy-tale drama Once Upon a Time, CBS had been airing promos that Unforgettable was the #1 new drama of the 2011–12 season. According to the prime-time Nielsen television ratings released through November 6, 2011, season-to-date, Unforgettable has averaged 13.9 million viewers. For a snapshot rating, on Tuesday 1 November 2011, the series was first in its regular time slot, with 11.3 million viewers and ranked #24 overall for the week.
Montgomery met actor Adam Kaufman, in 2005 in Mexico while working on the independent film Between and in 2010, they worked together again in the TV movie Lying to be Perfect. Kaufman began a recurring role on Without a Trace, making his first appearance in March 2007 with season 5: episode 19 titled "At Rest", playing Brian Donovan, Spade's love interest for the rest of the series. In June 2007, Montgomery announced her pregnancy with Kaufman, which was written into the sixth season. On 23 December 2007, Montgomery gave birth to their son Jackson Phillip Deveraux Montgomery Kaufman in Los Angeles. It was reported on 10 October 2011, through Life & Style, that Montgomery and Kaufman broke up due to the distance between them when working.
Since late 2011, Montgomery has been in a relationship with Shawn Sanford, director of lifestyle marketing for Microsoft, whom she met at an event in Puerto Rico. On 22 April 2013, she gave birth to their daughter Violet Grace Deveraux Sanford.
|1994||Silk Stalkings||Angel||U.S. TV series; 2-part episode: "Natural Selection"|
|Tammy and the T-Rex||Party Girl #1|
|1995||Jake Lassiter: Justice on the Bayou||Cindy||TV movie|
|Devil in a Blue Dress||Barbara's Sister|
|1996||The Cold Equations||Marilyn 'Lee' Cross||TV movie|
|Peacock Blues||TV short|
|Party of Five||Allison||U.S. TV series; episode: "Poor Substitutes"|
|NYPD Blue||Lisa||U.S. TV series; episode: "Burnin' Love"|
|Relativity||Jennifer Lukens||U.S. TV series, recurring role (7 episodes)|
|1997||Desert's Edge||Mary||TV short|
|1998||Dead Man on Campus||Rachel|
|1999||The Wonder Cabinet||Dr. Sarah Coleman||TV movie|
|1999||The Other Sister||Caroline Tate|
|Life||Older Mae Rose Abernathy|
|2000||Men Named Milo, Women Named Greta||Barri Noodleman||Short film|
|The Beat||Elizabeth Waclawek||U.S. TV series; recurring role (3 episodes)|
|2001||Blonde||Norma Jean Baker / Marilyn Monroe||TV miniseries|
|Going to California||Penelope||Episode: "Hurricane Al: A Tale of Key Largo"|
|2002||Glory Days||Ellie Sparks||U.S. TV series, recurring role (9 episodes)|
|2002–09||Without a Trace||Samantha Spade||U.S. TV series; series regular (160 episodes)|
|2004||Raising Waylon||Julia Bellows||TV special|
|How to Lose Your Lover||Allison|
|Murder in the Hamptons||Generosa Rand||TV movie|
|Snow Wonder||Paula||TV movie|
|2010||True Blue||Katherine Miller||TV pilot|
|Lying to Be Perfect||Nola Devlin||TV movie|
|2011||Magic Beyond Words||J. K. Rowling||TV movie|
|Unforgettable||Carrie Wells||U.S. TV series; lead role|
- "Without a Trace cast". Entertainment Weekly. 2004-06-25. Retrieved 8 October 2011. "Poppy Montgomery, 29 (Although IMDb says that I'm 32. At the end of the day, who gives a s -- -? Honestly)"
- Johnson, Tricia (2001-05-11). "Poppy Montgomery as Marilyn Monroe in 'Blonde'". ew.com. Retrieved 8 October 2011.
- Downie, Stephen (2007-08-08). "In the lucky bunch". couriermail.com.au. Retrieved 8 October 2011.
- Hiltbrand, David (2005-04-20). "'Without a Trace' actress Poppy Montgomery 'driven'". The Post and Courier. Retrieved 8 October 2011.
- "Tracing a path to LA". theage.com.au. 2007-07-19. Retrieved 8 October 2011.
- Dianculi, David (2001-05-11). "'Blonde' Had Dark Roots". nydailynews.com. Retrieved 8 October 2011.[dead link]
- Martindale, David. Meet Poppy Montgomery, TNT. Accessed 12 July 2008.
- "Victoria to star in film on Rowling". Times Colonist. 12 February 2011. Retrieved 12 February 2011.
- "2011 Fall Preview Video-Unforgettable". CBS.com, 22 May 2011
- "Poppy Montgomery in Sunnyside Queens". Sunnyside Post, 4 April 2011
- Courtesy Veronica Bravo, USA Today; and Nielsen Media Research. Retrieved 9 November 2011.
- "Popppy Montogmery -- Girls of Maxim".
- Jenny Sundel (12 June 2007). "Without a Trace's Poppy Montgomery Pregnant". People. Retrieved 12 June 2007.
- Poppy Montgomery Welcomes a Boy, People, 4 January 2008. Accessed 12 July 2008.
- "Unforgettable star Poppy Montgomery splits with longtime beau". Life&Style. October 10, 2011. Retrieved February 16, 2012.
- "Poppy Montgomery pregnant with second child". USA Today. 11 January 2013. Retrieved 11 January 2013.
- "Poppy Montgomery Welcomes Daughter Violet Grace". Life&Style. April 24, 2013. Retrieved April 24, 2013.
- Poppy Montgomery back on TV in 'Unforgettable'
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Poppy Montgomery.|