| ||This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2010)|
|Playboy centerfold appearance|
|May 1955 |
|Preceded by||Marilyn Waltz (April 1955) |
Lynn Turner (January 1956)
|Succeeded by||Eve Meyer (June 1955) |
Marian Stafford (March 1956)
|Born|| July 29, 1932|
Los Angeles, California
|Died||August 19, 2008 (aged 76)|
Los Angeles, California
|Measurements||Bust: 39"C |
Empey took ballet lessons from Russian ballerina Maria Befefi and later worked as a chorus girl at Bimbo's in San Francisco. In 1955, she married Joe Webber. She later took an interest in nudism, appearing in numerous nudist magazines. Naked & Together: The Wonderful Webbers by June Lange, published by Elysium Inc in 1967, documented the Webbers' nudist life style. Webber posed for many famous photographers such as Peter Gowland, Bunny Yeager and Russ Meyer. She also appeared on the covers for several vinyl record albums including Les Baxter's Jewels of the Sea, Sea of Dreams by Nelson Riddle, Marty Paich's Jazz For Relaxation, Chile con Cugie by Xavier Cugat and the RCA Japanese release of the Seiji Hiraoka & His Quartet album Bedtime Music.
In 1965 Diane traveled to Sioux City, Iowa to testify at the request of a US attorney in a trial involving sending alleged obscene nudist magazines into Iowa
Around 1969 to 1980 Empey devoted her full-time career as a bellydance instructor at the now defunct Everywoman's Village in Van Nuys, California. She occasionally performed this dance accompanied by her top students and a band playing Middle Eastern music in public places in and around Los Angeles. Empey founded Perfumes of Araby, one of the first American belly dancing companies. Empey's shows were extremely sensual; they didn’t pander to the audience. Lots of women and children enjoyed the shows. For several years Empey coordinated outdoor performances with up to 40 Middle Eastern dancers.
Empey died on August 19, 2008 in Los Angeles at the age of 76 due to complications following surgery for colon cancer.
- The Trial of Billy Jack (1974) .... Belly-Dance instructor
- The Witchmaker (1969) .... The Nautch of Tangier
- Sinthia, the Devil's Doll (1968) .... The Housewife
- The Swinger (1966) (uncredited) .... Model #12
- Mermaids of Tiburon (1962) .... Mermaid Queen
- This Is My Body (1962) .... Herself
Notable TV guest appearances
- "Stanley Siegel Show" Herself discussing belly dancing 1981
- Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea playing "Mermaid" in episode: "The Mermaid" (episode # 3.19) 29 January 1967
- Alfred Hitchcock Presents playing "The Other Woman" in episode: "The Pearl Necklace" (episode # 6.29) 2 May 1961
- Markham playing "Valerie" in episode: "The Glass Diamond" (episode 1.8) June 1959
- Highway Patrol playing "Woman" in episode: "Coptor Cave-In" (episode # 18) February 1959
- Peter Gunn playing "Midge" in episode: "Scuba" (episode # 1.21) 16 February 1959
- Bold Venture playing Latin dancer along with Kathy Kelly and Lisa Gaye in "Bold Venture" on channel 9, program #1003, August, 1959. Dane Clark starred as detective Shannon. A ZIV-TV Production.
- "Playmate listing". Retrieved March 23, 2009.
- "Name:Diane M Webber, State:California". Retrieved March 24, 2009.
- Thy Neighbor's Wife by Gay Talese, Doubleday & Company, 1980, page 440, paragraph 2
- TIME, Demography: The Command Generation, Friday, Jul. 29, 1966
- Scott Pearce.com › R.I.P. Diane Webber
- Anaheed & the Perfumes of Araby