Beresford playing a Hohner Melodica
|Born||1950 (age 62–63)|
|Instruments||Melodica, toy piano, trumpet, euphonium, bass guitar|
|Associated acts||Portsmouth Sinfonia|
Steve Beresford (born 1950) is a British musician who graduated from the University of York. He has played a variety of instruments, including piano, electronics, trumpet, euphonium, bass guitar and a wide variety of toy instruments, such as the toy piano. He has also played a wide range of music. He is probably best known for free improvisation, but has also written music for film and television  and has been involved with a number of pop music groups.
He played in Derek Bailey's Company events and in the groups Alterations with David Toop, Terry Day and Peter Cusack, and the Three Pullovers with Nigel Coombes and Roger Smith. He was also a member with Gavin Bryars and Brian Eno of the Portsmouth Sinfonia.
Beresford has continued to play free improvisation with a number of prominent musicians, including Evan Parker, Lol Coxhill, John Zorn, and Han Bennink. He has collaborated extensively with Swiss-American artist/musician Christian Marclay and is an active member of the long-standing  London Improvisers Orchestra.
From 2010 he performed various pieces by John Cage, including Indeterminacy with Tania Chen and comedian Stewart Lee, and a performance with Ilan Volkov at the The BBC Proms 2012  at The Royal Albert Hall in London.
Steve Beresford's music and his teachings have inspired the musical community in the UK for over a decade. British song writer and performer Katy Carr cites Steve Beresford's lectures on musical themes associated with Free improvisation, Experimental music, John Cage, musique concrète, Diamanda Galás and The Slits as a source of initial inspiration with regards to the creation of her debut album, Screwing Lies released in 2001.
A more complete discography can be found on European Free Improvisation website
- The Melody Four: La Paloma...: Chabada
- The Melody Four: Love Plays Such Funny Games: Chabada
- 1985: Steve Beresford His Piano & Orchestra: Eleven Songs for Doris Day: Chabada
- The Melody Four?: Si Señor: Chabada
- 1986: The Melody Four: T.V.? Mais oui!: Chabada
- "Steve Beresford – Discover music, concerts, & pictures at Last.fm". www.last.fm. Retrieved 2010-02-17.
- "IMDB entry".
- "BBC Proms 2012 Prom 47 listing". Retrieved 27 January 2013.
- "Paul Hamlyn Awards for Artists 2012 listing". Retrieved 27 January 2013.
- Steve, Beresford. "PHF Award for Artists". Retrieved 5 February 2013.
- "University of Westminster website". Retrieved 27 January 2013.
- "European Free Improvisation". Retrieved 27 January 2013.
- Festival International de Musique Actuelle de Victoriaville in Canada: 
- Christoph Wagner: Steve Beresford in “Neue Zeitschrift für Musik”,Schott Music,Mainz,Germany, 2007