Think Like a Man
|Think Like a Man|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Tim Story|
|Produced by||Will Packer |
Glenn S. Gainor (executive)
Rob Hardy (executive)
Steve Harvey (executive)
Rushion McDonald (executive)
|Screenplay by||Keith Marryman |
David A. Newman
|Based on||Act Like a Lady, Think Like a Man |
by Steve Harvey
|Starring||Michael Ealy |
Kevin Hart (also narrator)
Taraji P. Henson
|Music by||Christopher Lennertz|
|Editing by||Peter S. Elliot|
|Distributed by||Screen Gems|
|Release date(s)|| |
|Running time||123 minutes|
Think Like a Man is a 2012 ensemble American romantic comedy film directed by Tim Story, written by Keith Marryman and David A. Newman, and based on Steve Harvey's 2009 book Act Like a Lady, Think Like a Man. The film was released on April 20, 2012 by Screen Gems Pictures.
The film follows four storylines about each of the couples, titled:
- "The Mama's Boy" vs. "The Single Mom"
- "The Non-Committer" vs. "The Girl Who Wants the Ring"
- "The Dreamer" vs. "The Woman Who Is Her Own Man"
- "The Player" vs. "The 90 Day Rule Girl"
Each of the women are readers of Steve Harvey's book Act Like a Lady, Think Like a Man. When the men learn that the women are hooked on Harvey's advice, they try to turn the tables on their mates, which later seems to backfire.
- Kevin Hart as Cedric, "the Happier Divorced Guy"
- Michael Ealy as Dominic, "the Dreamer"
- Taraji P. Henson as Lauren, "the Woman Who Is Her Own Man"
- Terrence J as Michael, "the Mama's Boy"
- Regina Hall as Candace, "the Single Mom"
- Jerry Ferrara as Jeremy, "the Non-Committer"
- Gabrielle Union as Kristen, "the Girl Who Wants the Ring"
- Romany Malco as Zeke, "the Player"
- Meagan Good as Mya, "the 90 Day Rule Girl"
- Steve Harvey as Himself
- Gary Owen as Bennett, "the Happily Married Man"
- Wendy Williams as Gail, Cedric's ex-wife
- Chris Brown as Alex, Mya's ex
- Jenifer Lewis as Loretta, Michael's mom
- La La Anthony as Sonia, Mya's friend
- Caleel Harris as Duke, Candace's son
- Morris Chestnut as James, Lauren's ex
- Arielle Kebbel as Gina, Kristen's friend
- Kelly Rowland as Brenda
- Sherri Shepherd as Vicki
- Tony Rock as Xavier, Zeke's friend
- Tika Sumpter as Dominic's girlfriend
- Keri Hilson as Heather
- Luenell as Aunt Winnie
Six professional basketball players made cameo appearances as themselves:
The film received generally mixed reviews. At film review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds a "rotten" rating of 54%, based on 81 reviews and an average rating of 5.6/10, with the critical consensus saying, "In Think Like a Man, an otherwise standard rom-com is partially elevated by a committed—and attractive—cast, resulting in a funny take on modern romance". The film also holds a score of 51 on the website Metacritic, based on 30 reviews, indicating "mixed or average reviews".
Roger Ebert of the Chicago Sun-Times viewed that a major problem with the film is that it takes seriously the advice given in the book it is based upon, commenting that such an approach "might have worked as a screwball comedy or a satire, but can you believe for a moment in characters naive enough to actually live their lives following Steve Harvey's advice? The result is a tiresome exercise that circles at great length through various prefabricated stories defined by the advice each couple needs (or doesn't need)." However, Ebert called the cast "superb" noting in particular the performances of Meagan Good and Kevin Hart. Owen Gleiberman of Entertainment Weekly also complimented Good and Hart's performance, as well as Romany Malco's performance. He ultimately gave the film a "B-" grade, writing that it is "so busy tracking courtship as if it were a science project that the bite-size love stories lack spontaneity." In a positive review, Michael Phillips of the Chicago Tribune commended the film for "stick[ing] to a formula without falling prey to it" and commented that "its hangout factor is considerable, because the actors' charms are considerable."
Think Like a Man grossed over $33.7 million during its opening weekend, an accomplishment which ended The Hunger Games' four-week run at the #1 spot at the U.S. box office. The romantic comedy film remained on top of the competition during its second week as well, bringing in $17.6 million.
As of June 24, 2012, Think Like a Man has earned $95,326,341 in both the United States and Canada, along with $3,779,136 in other countries, for a worldwide total of $99,105,477. The movie's production budget was $12.5 million.
|1.||"Think Like a Man"||Ne-Yo, Harmony Samuels, Al Sherrod Lambert, Courtney Harrell, Eric Bellinger||Jennifer Hudson and Ne-Yo featuring Rick Ross||4:01|
|2.||"Tonight (Best You Ever Had)"||Allen Arthur, Christopher Bridges, Keith Justice, Miguel, Clayton Reilly, John Legend||John Legend featuring Ludacris||3:59|
|3.||"Need a Reason"||Kelly Rowland, Bei Maejor, Vanessa Carlton, T. Boi||Kelly Rowland featuring Future and Bei Maejor||4:16|
|4.||"Won't Make a Fool Out of You"||Marcus Canty||Marcus Canty||4:13|
|5.||"Baby Be Mine"||Rod Temperton||Quadron||4:17|
|6.||"That's the Way of the World"||Maurice White, Charles Stepney, Verdine White||Earth, Wind & Fire||5:45|
|7.||"Freedom Ride"||Keri Hilson, Arden Altino, Olivier Castelli, Akene Dunkley, Jerry Duplessis||Keri Hilson||3:43|
|8.||"Shake That Jelly"||Patrizio Pigliapoco, Christopher Trujillo, William Wesson||Billy Wes||3:15|
|9.||"Same Ole BS"||Ronnie Jackson, Philip Cornish, Eric Cire||RaVaughn||3:44|
|10.||"Fire"||Brandon Hines, Antoine Harris, J-Hype||Brandon Hines||3:47|
|12.||"Never Too Much"||Luther Vandross||Luther Vandross||3:50|
On June 28, 2012 Screen Gems announced plans for a sequel Think Like a Man Too, with Keith Merryman and David A. Newman also writing its script. In April 2013, it was announced that the sequel would be released on June 20, 2014. On May 28, 2013, it was announced that production had begun on the sequel.
- "Think Like a Man (2012)". Box Office Mojo. Amazon.com. Retrieved July 30, 2012.
- "Think Like a Man (2012)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved May 24, 2012.
- "Think Like a Man". Metacritic. Retrieved April 26, 2012.
- Ebert, Roger. "Think Like a Man". Chicago Sun-Times. Retrieved April 27, 2012.
- Gleiberman, Owen (April 25, 2012). "Think Like a Man". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved April 27, 2012.
- Phillips, Michael (April 19, 2012). "Think Like a Man movie review". Chicago Tribune (Chicago Tribune: Tribune Company). Retrieved 2012-04-29.
- Downey, Ryan J. "'Think Like A Man' Takes Box Office For Second Week". MTV News. Retrieved 30 April 2012.
- Goldberg, Stephanie. "'Think Like A Man' and the legacy of 'Love Jones'". CNN Entertainment. Retrieved 29 May 2012.
- "Keri Hilson, Kelly Rowland Join ‘Think Like a Man’ Soundtrack". Rap-Up. Retrieved April 28, 2012.
- Think Like a Man at AllMusic. Retrieved April 28, 2012
- Goldstein, Patrick (June 28, 2012). "Screen Gems moving ahead with 'Think Like a Man' sequel". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved June 28, 2012.
- Official website
- Think Like a Man at the Internet Movie Database
- Think Like a Man at AllRovi
- Think Like a Man at Box Office Mojo
- Think Like a Man at Rotten Tomatoes
- Think Like a Man at Metacritic