|Directed by||Wayne Thornley|
|Screenplay by||Andrew Cook |
Raffaella Delle Donne
|Music by||Bruce Retief|
|Studio||Triggerfish Animation Studios|
|Distributed by||CMG (international) |
Sony Pictures (English territories)
|Release dates||July 3, 2012|
|Running time||83 minutes|
|Budget||R173 million ($20 million)|
Zambezia (also known as Adventures in Zambezia) is a South African 3D computer-animated comedy-drama adventure film. Directed by Wayne Thornley and written by Andrew Cook, Raffaella Delle Donne, and Anthony Silverston, it is the first film produced by Triggerfish Animation Studios and distributed by CMG and Sony Pictures in English territories. It tells the story of a young falcon bird who leaves the desolate desert where he lives with his father to discover action and adventure in the big city of Zambezia.
|This section requires expansion. (January 2014)|
Set in a bustling bird city on the edge of the majestic Victoria Falls, "Zambezia" is the story of Kai - a naïve, but high-spirited young falcon who travels to the bird city of "Zambezia" where he discovers the truth about his origins and, in defending the city, learns how to be part of a community.
- Jeremy Suarez as Kai the Peregrine Falcon
- Abigail Breslin as Zoe the Black-shouldered Kite
- Jeff Goldblum as Ajax the Lammergeier
- Leonard Nimoy as Chief Sekhuru the African Fish Eagle
- Samuel L. Jackson as Tendai the Peregrine Falcon
- Jenifer Lewis as Gogo the Saddle-billed Stork
- Jim Cummings as Budzo the Rock Monitor, Marabou
- Jamal Mixon as Ezee the Nightjar
- Richard E. Grant as Cecil the Marabou Stork
- David Shaughnessy as Morton the Marabou Stork
- Frank Welker as Sill the Marabou Stork
- Noureen DeWulf as Pavi the African Sacred Ibis
- Tania Gunadi as Tini the Weaver bird
- Deep Roy as Mushana the Green pigeon
- Phil LaMarr as Announcer Bird the African Grey Parrot, Dodo the Guineafowl
- Corey Burton as Neville the Lilian's Lovebird
- Tress MacNeille as Neville's wife the Lilian's Lovebird
- Tom Kenny as Marabous
- Sam Riegel as Hurricanes Birds of prey
- Lee Duru as Nurse Bird
- Zolani Mahola as Weaver
- Nik Rabinowitz as Hurricanes Birds of prey, Gondo the Black Eagle
- Keeno Lee Hector as Hurricanes Birds of prey
- Wayne Thornley as Marabou
- Kelly Stables as Gossip Bird 1
- Kristen Rutherford as Gossip Bird 2
- Jon Olson as Marabous
- Brent Palmer as Marabou
The film won the Best South African Feature Film at the Durban International Film Festival in 2012. It also won Best Animation at the South African Film and Television Awards and Best Animation at the 9th Africa Movie Academy Awards.
|Annie Awards||Music in an Animated Feature Production||Bruce Retief||Nominated|
|Voice Acting in an Animated Feature Production||Jim Cummings|
|Africa Movie Academy Awards||Best Animation||Wayne Thornley||Won|
- Naidoo, Romaana. "Triggerfish takes on the big boys". Media Club South Africa. Retrieved March 8, 2014.
- "Zambezia (2012)". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved March 8, 2014.
- "Durban International Film Festival: All the winners". Deadline. July 30, 2012. Retrieved December 6, 2012.
- "Annie Award Nominations Unveiled". Deadline. December 3, 2012. Retrieved December 3, 2012.