Undefeated (2011 film)
|Directed by||Daniel Lindsay and |
|Produced by||Rich Middlemas |
|Music by||Michael Brook |
|Editing by||Daniel Lindsay |
|Studio||Spitfire Pictures |
Five Smooth Stones Productions
Level 22 Productions
Zipper Bros Films
|Distributed by||The Weinstein Company (USA) |
Alliance Films (Canada)
|Release date(s)|| |
|Box office||$521,476 |
Undefeated is an Oscar-winning 2011 documentary directed by Daniel Lindsay and T.J. Martin. The film documents the struggles of a high school football team, the Manassas Tigers of Memphis, as they attempt a winning season after years of losses. The team is turned around by coach Bill Courtney, who helps form a group of young men into an academic and athletic team.
The film received critical acclaim at the South by Southwest conference in March 2011. The Weinstein Company was reported to have closed a seven-figure deal for distribution and remake rights to Undefeated. On February 26, 2012, the movie won the Academy Award for Best Documentary Feature.
Undefeated was highly acclaimed by critics. The film currently scores a 96% "Certified Fresh" approval rating on review aggregate site Rotten Tomatoes, based on 94 reviews.
- "'Undefeated' (2012)". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved 2012-05-03.
- Saito, Stephen (2011-03-23). "'Undefeated' Reviewed". IFC. The Independent Film Channel LLC. Retrieved 2011-04-25.
- Fleming, Mike (March 14, 2011). "SXSW: Gridiron Documentary 'Undefeated' Scores Big Weinstein Company Deal". Deadline New York. Deadline.com. Retrieved 2011-04-25.
- Farmer, Sam, "Former NFL player Ed Cunningham hits Oscar gold with 'Undefeated'", LATimes, February 27, 2012. Retrieved 2012-02-27.
- Pilon, Mary (February 25, 2012). "A Coach Inspires an Artist". The New York Times. Retrieved February 29, 2012.
- Official website
- Undefeated at the Internet Movie Database
- Smith, Jason (February 13, 2009). "Raising O.C. – Three Families Have Arms Around This Top Prospect". Memphis Commercial Appeal. Original news story which attracted filmmakers' attention.
- Beifuss, John (October 30, 2011). "'Undefeated': Underdog story of Manassas football team scores upset win as feature film". Memphis Commercial Appeal. Follow-up, with course through filmmaking, South by Southwest Film Festival, The Weinstein Company acquisition of distribution and remake rights, and the Chicago International Film Festival.