Jim Hoffman is a website engineer in Oakland, California, who created several web sites about the September 11, 2001 attacks that analyze and suggest alternative accounts for the events of that day. His primary website, 9-11 Research, serves as an archive of documentation and alternative analyses about the attacks. Hoffman has also written numerous technical essays which focus on the World Trade Center controlled demolition hypothesis.
 September 11, 2001 attacks
Since early 2003, Hoffman has been writing about the collapse of the World Trade Center (WTC) and other aspects of the September 11, 2001 attacks. His work has examined the collapse of the smaller 7 World Trade Center, and he is critical of the official explanation of that collapse. Hoffman has also written a critique of the official National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) report on the building collapses, a critique of the 2006 NIST FAQ, and critiques of articles about the 9/11 conspiracy theories by the popular-science magazines Scientific American and Popular Mechanics.
Hoffman is co-author, with Don Paul, of Waking up from our Nightmare: The 9/11 Crimes in New York City, and the video, released in February, 2006, 9/11 Guilt: The Proof is in Your Hands. He has also given talks and been interviewed on radio shows across the US and Canada. The Editor of Popular Mechanics, James B. Meigs, describes Hoffman as a "leading conspiracy theorist."
Dr. Steven E. Jones, a physicist formerly with Brigham Young University, has credited Hoffman's WTC7.net website and described his work as an inspiration for conducting his own analysis of the WTC building collapses. Hoffman's book and websites are cited in Jones' essay "Why Indeed Did the WTC Buildings Collapse?". Hoffman has also been cited by author David Ray Griffin.
Hoffman has been very critical of what he considers the more extreme 9/11 conspiracy theories. In particular he does not endorse the theory that the Pentagon was hit by something other than a jetliner. In an interview with Salon, Hoffman alleged ad hominem attacks on conspiracy theorists, stating, “This is just the sort of wackiness defenders of the Official Story harp on to show how gullible and incompetent we conspiracy theorists are supposed to be.”
In a 2006 DVD collaboration with Don Paul, 9/11 Guilt: The Proof is in Your Hands, Hoffman produced a section entitled, 'Proving Controlled Demolition of World Trade Center Building 7 and the Twin Towers.' In his presentation, Hoffman offers five features and then five proofs of demolition along with some pointed graphics. "He shows beyond question, I think, that all three buildings were taken down by different methods of controlled demolition," according to Paul. "The Twin Towers were exploded as no buildings have been before or since and about seven hours later World Trade Center Building 7 was imploded in a classic, conventional demolition."
In 2009, Hoffman wrote three essays to accompany a scientific paper written by Danish chemist Niels H. Harrit, of the University of Copenhagen, and eight other authors, titled, 'Active Thermitic Material Discovered in Dust from the 9/11 World Trade Center Catastrophe', published in The Open Chemical Physics Journal. The paper by Harrit et al., concludes that chips consisting of unreacted and partially reacted super-thermite are present in the samples of the dust Hoffman's essays were written to help explain the findings of the paper to the layperson and to examine a hypothetical scenario involving the Harrit et al. paper's findings.
Jim Hoffman has a background in software engineering, mechanical engineering, and scientific visualization and co-published a paper on "Computer graphics tools for the study of minimal surfaces".
 See also
- 9/11 Truth Movement
- 9/11 conspiracy theories
- World Trade Center controlled demolition conspiracy theories
- Manjoo, Farhad (2006-06-27). "The 9/11 deniers". Feature (Salon.com, Inc.). Retrieved 2006-08-21.
- Hoffman, Jim H. "Essays On Aluminothermics Use at the WTC". Retrieved 2009-04-11.
- 9-11 Research - About Jim Hoffman
- 9-11 Research - The 9/11/01 Attack: Means, Motive, and Precedent
- 9-11 Research - Building a Better Mirage: NIST's 3-Year $20,000,000 Cover-Up of the Crime of the Century
- A Reply to the National Institute for Standards and Technology's 'Answers to Frequently Asked Questions'
- 9-11 Research - Scientific American's Dishonest Attack On 911Research
- 9-11 Research - Popular Mechanics Attacks Its "9/11 LIES" Straw Man
- 9-11 Research - Talks and Radio Interviews
- Meigs, James B. (2006). "The Conspiracy Industry". Science. Hearst Communications, Inc. Retrieved 2006-10-16.
- "Why Indeed Did the WTC Buildings Collapse?" by Steven E. Jones
- Ray Griffin, David (2004). The New Pearl Harbor. Interlink. ISBN 1-56656-552-9.
- 9-11 Research - 9-11 Research Does Not Endorse No-Jetliner Theories
- Toward Freedom - 9/11 Guilt: An Interview with DVD Producer Don Paul
- Harrit, Niels H. "Active Thermitic Material Discovered in Dust from the 9/11 World Trade Center Catastrophe" (pdf). Retrieved 2010-10-11.
- Hoffman, Jim H. "A Hypothetical Blasting Scenario". Retrieved 2009-04-11.
- Computer graphics tools for the study of minimal surfaces
- Callahan, M. J., Hoffman,D. & Hoffman, J. T. (1988). "Computer graphics tools for the study of minimal surfaces". Communications of the ACM Archive 31 (6): 648–661. doi:10.1145/62959.62961.
- Anderson, D. M., Bellare, J., Hoffman, J. T. , Hoffman, D., Gunther, J. & Thomas, E. L. (1992). "Algorithms for the simulation of two-dimensional projections from structures determined by dividing surfaces". Journal of Colloid and Interface Science 148 (2): 398–414. doi:10.1016/0021-9797(92)90179-P.
- Hoffman et al. (October 2001). "Triply Periodic Bicontinuous Cubic Microdomain Morphologies by Symmetries" (abstract). Macromolecules. 34 (17): 6083–6089.
- Hoffman, Jim and Paul, Don. "Waking up from our Nightmare: The 9/11 Crimes in New York City" ISBN 0-943096-10-3
 Websites designed by Hoffman
- Justice for Woody - Website documenting and analyzing the police shooting of Robert Woodward in Brattleboro, VT in 2001
- 911review.com - "9-11 Review: A Resource for Understanding the 9/11/01 Attack"
- 911research.wtc7.net - "9-11 Research: An Attempt to Uncover the Truth About September 11th, 2001"
- wtc7.net - "wtc7.net - The unexplained collapse of Building 7"
- Visibility 9-11 Welcomes 9-11 Researcher Jim Hoffman (August 2009)
- Visibility 9-11 interviews Jim Hoffman in two parts. Part one, and part two. (September 2006)
- SueSupriano.com - 'Don Paul - Jim Hoffman', interviewed by Sue Supriano (November 3, 2003)
- Guns and Butter - interview September 28, 2005
-  - Jim Hoffman WTC 9/11 Demolition Analysis video