The son of Jacques Wertheimer and Eliane Fischer, it was his grandfather Pierre who co-founded the Chanel business. The privately held House of Chanel is run by Alain Wertheimer who has presided over the acquisition of several non-Chanel brands, including Eres Lingerie, Tanner Krolle saddles and leather goods, and Holland & Holland, a British gunsmith. Based in France, the Wertheimer brothers own French vineyards like Rauzan-Segla in Margaux and Château Canon in Saint-Emilion, both of which have won rave reviews from oenophiles. Both brothers are enthusiastic equestrians who also inherited and operate an important thoroughbred horse racing stable they call La Presle Farm and/or Wertheimer farm for racing in the United States and in France as Wertheimer et Frères partnership.
Gérard's wife Valérie is active in child protection charities.
See also 
Net Worth:$6.0 bil Fortune:inherited Source:Chanel Age:NA Country Of Citizenship:France Residence: Industry:Apparel Education:NA, Marital Status:NA,
Extremely discreet, press-shy brothers control luxury brand Chanel. Company was cofounded by their grandfather Pierre Wertheimer, who eventually bought out his early partner Gabrielle (Coco) Chanel, who also was designer of the famous little black dress. U.S. resident Alain is chairman of the company, whose Chanel No. 5 perfume is one of world's top-selling scents. Brother Gerard lives in Switzerland and chairs Chanel's watch division; his wife, Valérie, is president of Action Innocence, a group that combats child pornography on the Web. Brothers own French vineyards Rauzan-Segla in Margaux and Château Canon in Saint-Emilion; also Thoroughbreds, including horses that have won such races as the French Derby and the Breeders' Cup Turf in the U.S.
- Didier Grumbach Histoires de la mode 2008 - Page 368 "Certaines autres sont de nature plus personnelle. Alain et Gérard Wertheimer ont hérité de leur grand-père, Pierre, grand amateur du Douanier Rousseau, sa passion pour l'art contemporain. Les chevaux de course étaient le péché mignon ... "
- Paris Match Numéros 2971 à 2979 2006 - Page 101 "Epouse du richissime Gérard Wertheimer, Valérie Wertheimer aurait pu se contenter d'une existence légère et dorée. Mais, il y a six ans. traumatisée par la découverte des réseaux pédophiles via Internet, cette « boule d'énergie » a aussitôt ..."
- Forbes.com Wertheimer, Alain & Gerard
- Forbes.com: Forbes World's Richest People 2004
- Forbes.com: Forbes World's Richest People 2003
- Times on line
- Horse breeders cup 2003