| ||This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. (October 2008)|
|Born|| January 17, 1975 |
Fountain Valley, California
|Alma mater||University of Texas in Austin|
|Notable work(s)||Brian Brushwood: Bizzare Magic |
The Professional's Guide To Fire Eating
Brian Brushwood (born January 17, 1975) is an award-winning American magician, podcaster, author and comedian. A regular on the college circuit, he is best known for his display of bizarre magic and fire-eating performances. He is the author of The Professional's Guide To Fire Eating and the host of Revision3's Scam School, a web series that features quick ten minute tips to get free drinks at bars and to impress friends, and TWiT.tv's NSFWShow, a comedic podcast he co-hosts with Justin Robert Young.
Brushwood has performed on The Food Network, CNN and The Tonight Show, as well as performing special demonstrations at The University of Texas. Brushwood was also interviewed on episode 205 of The Skeptics' Guide to the Universe.
Brushwood grew up living in California, Colorado, Norway, and Texas. In 1993, he started at the University of Texas in Austin doubly majoring in "Plan II honors program" and history. He performed a magic show as a "creative writing" senior thesis. He began touring with the "Bizarre Magic Show" full-time in 2000. Brushwood also works as a writer and makes appearances on the lecture circuit. Brushwood categorizes himself as a libertarian.
Books about magic and college entertainment:
- Cheats, Cons, Swindles & Tricks: 57 Ways to Scam a Free Drink. Brian Brushwood. 2000. ASIN B00135VL0Y.
- Pack the House: The Ultimate, Ever-growing Guide to Increasing Attendance at YOUR Campus Events. Bizarre Magic, Inc. 2000. p. 61. ASIN 0971364613. ISBN 978-0-9713646-1-5. (co-authored with C. J. Johnson)
- Professional's Guide to Fire Eating. Bizarre Magic, Inc. 2002. p. 170. ASIN 0971364605. ISBN 978-0-9713646-0-8. OCLC 224122749.
Scam School Book 1: Smoke (2012)
Scam School Book 2: Fire (2012)
- Scam School
- Magician Brian Brushwood explains bar tricks, street cons, and scams on Scam School at Revision3.
- Behind the Scam
- Originally called Scam School Live, Behind the Scam is a longer version of Scam School that started in April, 2011, which streams live Wednesday nights on YouTube Live. As opposed to the 10 to 15 minute, prerecorded and highly produced episodes of Scam School on Revision3, Behind the Scam airs in real-time without edits, and runs for an hour or more. Behind the Scam usually starts by premiering the new weekly Scam School episode, and delves into the life of a stage magician. Each episode features an alternating guest co-host who is also involved in the world of professional magic. Viewers are encouraged to call in via Skype with questions.
- Billed as 'TWiT's favorite mistake', NSFW hosted by Brian Brushwood and Justin Robert Young, is an evolution of the BBLiveShow for the TWiT Network. Airs Tuesdays on TWiT Live and NSFWshow.com at 7 p.m. PT and is also available in podcast form at TWiT.TV.
- Frame Rate
- A weekly video and audio podcast on the TWiT Network, hosted by Brian Brushwood and Tom Merritt discussing television, movies and internet videos.
- Weird Things Podcast
- Hosts Brian Brushwood, Justin Robert Young and Andrew Mayne discuss supernatural and strange reports in the news. News reports are often introduced by Andrew Mayne presenting scenarios where his co-hosts must respond to the events of a report as Mayne reveals an increasing amount of detail.
- Game On!
- Brian hosted TWiT's newly developed gaming show with Veronica Belmont. The show's last show was on April 8, 2012 and it is no longer in production.
- Was a weekly live stream show which was succeeded by NSFW. Brushwood was joined weekly by co-host Justin Robert Young. The show's regular guests included, Brett Rounsaville, Owen JJ Stone, and his brother Jay Brushwood. Other guests included The Totally Rad Show's Jeff Cannata and Dan Trachtenberg, Film Riot's Ryan Connolly, Josh Connolly and Timmy Allen, Jay Adelson, Martin Sargent and Daniel Garcia.
- "Scams, Sasquatch, and the Supernatural" YouTube
- "A Brief Documentary on Brian Brushwood" YouTube
- "Brian Brushwood on the Road" YouTube
- Official Website
- Scam School
- NSFW Show
- BBOTR (Brian Brushwood On The Road)