Emily's Reasons Why Not
|Emily's Reasons Why Not|
Khary Payton as Josh, Heather Graham as Emily, and Nadia Dajani as Reilly
|Created by||Carrie Gerlach|
|Developed by||Emily Kapnek|
|Starring||Heather Graham |
James Patrick Stuart
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||7|
|Running time||30 minutes|
|Original airing||January 9, 2006|
Emily's Reasons Why Not is a television series starring Heather Graham. The show, which was based on the novel of the same name, was canceled by its broadcaster, ABC, after airing one episode on January 9, 2006.
Premise[edit source | edit]
The series centered on Emily (Graham), an author of self-help books who is unable to find success in romance. In the premiere episode she ends a bad relationship and adopts a new rule for her romances: if she can list five reasons to break up with a guy then she does so. Emily gets help from her friends, among them Josh, whose character is strongly based on gay stereotypes. The show was widely considered a less risqué copycat of Sex and the City.
In the first episode, she is convinced that the man she was dating was gay when he was actually a devout Mormon practicing chastity before marriage. His open virginity is presented through gay stereotypes, and his preferred sport, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is described as "the gayest sport there is" by Emily's former boyfriend.
Reception[edit source | edit]
It was reported that ABC committed to the show before seeing a script. Despite heavy promotion by both Sony Pictures Television and ABC, the show was pulled after the first episode due to drawing only 6.2 million viewers. Production was stopped after filming six episodes. ABC was said to have spent millions on promotion, including airtime, billboards and radio ads, and considered Emily to be the 'linchpin' of the network's post-football Monday-night schedule. The promotion was so heavy and the cancellation so abrupt that some magazines found themselves carrying cover stories about a canceled show. After viewing it, ABC's entertainment president suggested that they considered the show lackluster and unlikely to improve.
One television critic[who?] said there are "over a million 'reasons why not' for this sorry show." The New York Times attributed the cancellation in part to the extremely unappealing nature of the main character and the portrayal by Graham.
Cast[edit source | edit]
- Emily Sanders (Heather Graham)
- Reilly Harvey (Nadia Dajani)
- Midas O'Shay (James Patrick Stuart)
- Josh (Khary Payton)
- Glitter Cho (Smith Cho)
Episodes[edit source | edit]
|Episode #||Title||Date Aired|
|1||"Pilot"||January 9, 2006|
|2||"Why Not to Date Your Gynecologist"||Unaired in America|
|3||"Why Not To Cheat on Your Best Friend"||Unaired in America|
|4||"Why Not to Date a Twin"||Unaired in America|
|5||"Why Not to Hire a Cute Male Assistant"||Unaired in America|
|6||"Why Not to Look at Bridal Magazines"||Unaired in America|
|7||"Why Not to Invite Your Vacation Date Home"||Unaired in America|
DVD release[edit source | edit]
|DVD name||Release date||Ep #|
|The Complete Series||May 1, 2012||7|
See also[edit source | edit]
References[edit source | edit]
- "'Sex and the City' clones offer cheap thrills - The Boston Globe". Boston.com. 2006-01-09. Retrieved 2012-03-07.
- Bornemann, Samantha. "Emily's Reasons Why Not < PopMatters". Popmatters.com. Retrieved 2012-03-07.
- Politi, Daniel. "Heather Report - By Dana Stevens - Slate Magazine". Slate.com. Retrieved 2012-10-15.
- "Celebrity News, Entertainment News, Celebrity Gossip - E! Online UK". Eonline.com. Retrieved 2012-03-07.
- Stanley, Alessandra. "Friends Last, but Mr. Wrong Is Fungible." The New York Times, 13 July 2007.
- "Cinco razones (para no salir contigo): - Cosmopolitan TV España". Cosmopolitan.es. Retrieved 2012-03-07.
- "Emily's Reasons Why Not (2006) : Episodes 2 to 6 being shown in LA". IMDb.com. Retrieved 2013-08-10.
- TV.com. "Emily's Reasons Why Not Episodes". TV.com. Retrieved 2012-10-15.