The logo for the 6th season of The Bachelorette
|Format||Competitive reality show |
|Starring||Chris Harrison (host) |
List of Bachelorettes section
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||8|
|No. of episodes||87 (approx) (As of July 22, 2012)|
|Running time||120 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Next Entertainment |
Warner Horizon Television
|Original run||January 8, 2003 – February 28, 2005|
May 19, 2008 – present
|Related shows||The Bachelor |
The Bachelorette is a spin-off from the American competitive reality dating game show The Bachelor. In its January 2003 debut on ABC, the first season featured Trista Rehn, the runner-up date from the first season of The Bachelor, offering the opportunity for Rehn to choose a husband among 25 bachelors. The 2004 season of The Bachelorette again took a runner-up from the previous season of The Bachelor. After last airing on February 28, 2005, the series returned to ABC during the spring of 2008, following an absence of three years.
All of the rules are adopted from its parent show, The Bachelor. The series revolves around a single bachelorette (deemed eligible) and a pool of romantic interests (typically 25; 30 in season 5), which could include a potential husband for the bachelorette. The format is the same as the parent show. Unlike The Bachelor, one of two male suitors proposes to the bachelorette for the final selection.
Unlike The Bachelor, all eight seasons of The Bachelorette have ended with a proposal whether or not the Bachelorette decided to accept or decline. Trista Rehn's marriage to Ryan Sutter and Ashley Hebert's marriage to JP Rosenbaum have been the only marriages to result.
 Questions of authenticity
Mike Fleiss, creator of The Bachelor and The Bachelorette, as well as former contestants, have come forth saying that both shows are scripted. The Bachelorette Season 4 winner, Jesse Csincsak, commented that contestants must follow producers' orders and that a storyline was fabricated in the editing room.
In an exclusive interview on February 26, 2009 between The Bachelor Season 13 contestant Megan Parris, and Steve Carbone, Megan claimed that the producers edited the footage to create a fake storyline. "I don't think [the producers] showed any real conversation I had with anyone... The viewers fail to realize that editing is what makes the show... You'll hear someone make one comment and then they'll show a clip of somebody's face to make it look like that is their facial reaction to that statement, but really, somebody made that face the day before to something else. It's just piecing things together to make a story."
Megan Parris said that not only is the show scripted, but that producers "bully" contestants into saying specific things to the camera that the contestants do not want to say. "'There's nothing real about it,' she said of the show's trademark "confessionals," in which contestants talk to the camera about the latest goings-on. "It is scripted," she said. "They basically will call you names, berate you, curse at you until they get you to say what they want you to say." Both ABC and Warner Bros., the studio that produces The Bachelor, had no comment."
On March 15, 2010 The Bachelorette creator Mike Fleiss appeared on 20/20 to confess that he developed the show's contestants into characters that catered to his audience's tastes, and that they "need [their] fair share of villains every season." Fleiss has come under fire for admitting that The Bachelor has less to do with reality than it does making good television.
By Season 7 of The Bachelorette, some believe that actors were being hired by ABC to play specific roles on the show. Some viewers were becoming tired of the show's scripted nature and speaking out. By Season 8 there were numerous complaints when the entire cast of The Bachelorette overtly acted out the show's written script with the cast of The Muppets.
- Season 1 (2003)
- Trista Rehn, the runner-up of the first season of The Bachelor, who was sent home by Alex Michel over winner Amanda Marsh. Rehn selected Ryan Sutter in the season finale, and the broadcast of the finale was one of the most-watched programs in the history of reality television. They are still married and have two children together. Contestant Bob Guiney was chosen to be the Bachelor in season four of The Bachelor.
- Season 2 (2004)
- Meredith Phillips, who was sent home by bachelor Bob Guiney during hometown dates, chose Ian Mckee. However, they ended their relationship in February 2005.
- Season 3 (2005)
- Jennifer Schefft, selected by Andrew Firestone in season three of The Bachelor, got a second chance at love, after her relationship with Firestone ended, in The Bachelorette's third season. The season was filmed in New York City instead of Los Angeles. She chose Jerry Ferris, an art gallery director, over fellow finalist John Paul Merritt in a first live, final rose ceremony. During this last episode, Jerry proposed to Jen. She rejected his proposal, however, stating that the chemistry was not there. Schefft went on to find love away from reality TV, marrying Chicago public relations executive Joe Waterman in May 2009. The couple welcomed their first child, daughter Mae Elizabeth, on November 13, 2010. The couple welcomed their second daughter, Charlotte Grace, on July 31, 2012.
- Season 4 (2008)
- DeAnna Pappas, who first appeared in season eleven of The Bachelor, and was rejected by bachelor Brad Womack in his first season, chose Jesse Csincsak over Jason Mesnick. They were set to wed on May 9, 2009, but the couple announced their break-up in November 2008. Runner-up Jason Mesnick was chosen as the next Bachelor in season 13 of The Bachelor, as a single father looking for a third chance at love, Pappas made a surprise return. Like her predecessor, Pappas also went on to find love away from reality television, marrying high school teacher, Stephen Stagliano (related to former Bachelorette contestant; see below) in October 2011.
- Season 5 (2009)
- Jillian Harris, who was eliminated by bachelor Jason Mesnick in season thirteen of The Bachelor, was the fifth bachelorette. She is also the first non-American bachelorette, as she is from Canada. The fifth season premiered on May 18, 2009. On the season finale, Jillian received a proposal from Ed Swiderski. A supplement to the finale, "After The Final Rose", aired on Tuesday, July 28. However, they ended their relationship in July 2010. Contestant Jake Pavelka was chosen to be the next Bachelor.
- Season 6 (2010)
- Ali Fedotowsky, who walked away from bachelor Jake Pavelka in season 14 of The Bachelor, was the sixth bachelorette. The season premiered on May 24, 2010. Ali, who let contestant Chris Lambton go the day before the Final Rose Ceremony, chose Roberto Martinez in the finale, but the couple broke up in November 2011.
- Season 7 (2011)
- Ashley Hebert, who was rejected by bachelor Brad Womack in season 15 of The Bachelor, was the seventh bachelorette. The season premiered on May 23, 2011. The season concluded with Ashley choosing J.P. Rosenbaum as her fiance. The couple got married on December 1, 2012. Runner-up Ben Flajnik was chosen to be the next Bachelor.
- Season 8 (2012)
- Emily Maynard, chosen by bachelor Brad Womack, also in season 15 of The Bachelor, got a second chance at love, after her relationship with Womack ended, on the eighth season of The Bachelorette. Maynard is the second Bachelor winner to star in The Bachelorette after Jen Schefft. In addition, the production temporarily moved from Los Angeles to Maynard's hometown in Charlotte, North Carolina so that Emily could stay with her daughter Ricki during production. The season premiered on May 14, 2012. Emily let contestant Arie Luyendyk, Jr. go the day before the Final Rose Ceremony, and chose Jef Holm as her fiance at the final rose ceremony. The couple broke up in October 2012. Second runner-up Sean Lowe was chosen as the next Bachelor.
- Season 9 (2013)
- Desiree Hartsock, who was rejected by bachelor Sean Lowe in season 17 of The Bachelor, will be the ninth Bachelorette. The season will premiere on May 20th, 2013.
| ||January 8, 2003||Trista Rehn||Physical therapist||Ryan Sutter||Charlie Maher||Yes||Rehn and Sutter were married in December 2003 on national television; as of 2013, they are still together and have two children. Contestant Bob Guiney was featured on fourth season of The Bachelor.|
| ||January 14, 2004||Meredith Phillips||Makeup artist||Ian Mckee||Matthew Hickl||Yes||Phillips and McKee were engaged at the end of the show, but ended their relationship in February 2005.|
| ||January 10, 2005||Jennifer Schefft||Publicist||None||Jerry Ferris and John Paul Merritt||No||Schefft rejected all bachelors.|
| ||May 19, 2008||DeAnna Pappas||Real estate agent||Jesse Csincsak||Jason Mesnick||Yes||The wedding was set for May 9, 2009, but they broke up in November 2008. Runner-up Mesnick was featured on the 13th season of The Bachelor. Csincsak is now married to The Bachelor season 13 contestant Ann Lueders. Pappas is now married to Stephen Stagliano, whose brother, Michael, was a contestant on the fifth season of The Bachelorette (see below). Finalist Graham Bunn became a contestant on the second season of Bachelor Pad. Another finalist Ryan Hoag became a contestant on the third season of Bachelor Pad.|
| ||May 18, 2009||Jillian Harris||Interior designer||Ed Swiderski||Kiptyn Locke||Yes||In July 2010, it was announced that the two had broken up. Contestant Jake Pavelka was featured on the 14th season of The Bachelor. Runner-up Locke, along with finalists Juan Barbieri, Wes Hayden, Jesse Kovacs and David Good, became contestants on the first season of Bachelor Pad. During the show, Locke got together with Tenley Molzahn from Pavelka's season. Harris was a design team member of Extreme Makeover: Home Edition until its series end in 2012 and is scheduled to host of Canada's Handyman Challenge in HGTV. Finalist John Presser is now married to Tara Durr, who was a contestant in The Bachelor: Rome. Michael Stagliano became a contestant on the second season of Bachelor Pad along with Pavelka. Another finalist Julien Hug died on November 3, 2010. Stagliano would later return for the third season of Bachelor Pad along with winner Swiderski and another finalist Reid Rosenthal.|
| ||May 24, 2010||Ali Fedotowsky||Advertising account manager||Roberto Martinez||Chris Lambton|| ||They broke up in November 2011 but remained friends. Finalists Jonathan Novack (referred to as Weatherman in the show), Craig McKinnon and Jesse Beck became contestants on the first season of Bachelor Pad. Finalists Kasey Kahl, Justin Rego (referred to as The Wrestler in the show) and Kirk DeWindt became contestants on the second season of Bachelor Pad. Runner-up Lambton is now married to Peyton Wright, who was a contestant on the 10th season of The Bachelor.|
| ||May 23, 2011||Ashley Hebert||Dental student||J.P. Rosenbaum||Ben Flajnik|| ||Hebert and Rosebaum got married on December 1, 2012 and their wedding aired as a TV Special on December 16, 2012. Finalists Ames Brown, Blake Julian and William Holman became contestants on the second season of Bachelor Pad. Runner-up Flajnik was featured on the 16th season of The Bachelor. Finalist Blake Julian is currently married to Holly Durst from The Bachelor season 12 whom he met on Bachelor Pad 2. Finalist Nick Peterson became a contestant and the winner on the third season of Bachelor Pad.|
| ||May 14, 2012||Emily Maynard||Children's hospital event planner||Jef Holm||Arie Luyendyk, Jr.|| ||Maynard and Holm ended their relationship in October 2012. Finalists Tony Pieper, Chris Bukowski and Kalon McMahon became contestants on the third season of Bachelor Pad. Third-place finalist Sean Lowe was featured on the 17th season of The Bachelor.|
| ||May 20, 2013||Desiree Hartsock||Bridal stylist|
 References in other shows
- In the cartoon Family Guy (7th Episode of the 4th Season, "Brian the Bachelor"), Brian is selected to become a contestant in The Bachelorette. He initially finds the show stupid and offensive, but ends up falling for Brooke the bachelorette (voiced by Jessica Biel) and is chosen by her, only to find out that she was an actress hired to play the bachelorette and that reality television is actually fake.
- In the cartoon South Park (6th Episode of the 6th Season, "Professor Chaos"), a contest with workings similar to The Bachelorette is held to determine who will be Stan, Kyle and Cartman's new friend since their old friend Kenny has died.
 International versions
|Romania ||Burlăcița||Bianca Drăgușanu (Season 1)||Antena 1||July 7, 2011|
- "ABC Confirms Bachelorette Return this Summer with Fourth Season". Reality TV World. http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/abc-confirms-bachelorette-return-this-summer-with-fourth-season-6370.php.
- McDow, Christine (28 Jun 2011). "Jesse Csincsak Talks About Ashley Hebert And Last Night’s The Bachelorette". Reality TV Magazine. http://realitytvmagazine.sheknows.com/2011/06/28/jesse-csincsak-talks-about-ashley-hebert-and-last-nights-the-bachelorette/. Retrieved 2012-07-10. ""The viewers are seeing the PRODUCED side of her show and not so much the genuine stuff, and she looks silly because of it... A LOT TAKES PLACE IN THE EDITING ROOM!""
- Carbone, Steve (26 Feb 2009). "My Interview with Megan Parris". http://realitysteve.com/2009/02/27/update-on-the-megan-interview-and-more-news-coming-later-tonight. Retrieved 2012-07-16.
- Dehnart, Andy (29 Mar 2009). "Megan Parris says Bachelor producers “berate,” “curse at” contestants". Reality Blurred. http://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/archives/the_bachelor_13/2009_Mar_29_megan_parris_criticism. Retrieved 2012-07-16.
- Cherry, Bobby (26 Mar 2009). "'Bachelor' candidate from Sewickley Hills goes off script". Trib Live. http://triblive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/s_617830.html. Retrieved 2012-07-16.
- Dehnart, Andy (16 Mar 2010). "Bachelors have sex with an average of three women, but Bob Guiney has the record with 5.5". Reality Blurred. http://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/archives/the_bachelor/2010_Mar_16_20_20_special. Retrieved 2012-07-10. "“We need our fair share of villains every season. And now we’re very careful in our casting…to develop characters that the audience is going to root for and root against”"
- "Today’s TV Addict Top 5: Wildly Disturbing Quotes from THE BACHELOR creator/executive producer Mike Fleiss". Today’s TV Addict. 18 Mar 2010. http://www.thetvaddict.com/2010/03/18/todays-tv-addict-top-5-wildly-disturbing-quotes-from-the-bachelor-creatorexecutive-producer-mike-fleiss/. Retrieved 2012-07-10. "“We are very careful in our casting to develop characters that the audience is going to root for and root against.” Fleiss admits that his show has less to do with “reality” than it does making good television. Which is all fine and good… if a few moments later he hadn’t claimed that the whole premise was romance and the search for love."
- Angel, Ilana (24 May 2011). "The Bachelorette is Back – More Addictive & Ridiculous Than Ever". The Jewish Journal. http://www.jewishjournal.com/keepingitreal/item/the_bachelorette_is_back_more_addictive_ridiculous_than_ever_20110524. Retrieved 2012-07-16. "The only thing lamer than this show is the people who make it. They take it so seriously and think we do, but we don’t. It’s a scripted reality show, not real life. We watch with hope and no expectations, just as we lead our lives, the difference is we are decent and they are not."
- Taylor, T (21 May 2012). "The Bachelorette Recap: Rainbow Connections". The Hollywood Gossip. http://m.thehollywoodgossip.com/2012/05/the-bachelorette-recap-rainbow-connections/. Retrieved 2012-07-16. "The Bachelorette is back in full swing, and with it, all the scripted drama, misleading promos and man tears we've come to expect over the years... This Muppets thing is weird. Beyond weird. Emily asks Kermit to help zip her dress and the Miss Piggy throws a tantrum. Mr. Hostman has a conversation with one half of the cranky old man duo. They're all pretending the Muppets are real people. Really, producers? REALLY?... Miss Piggy has Joe write a poem on the spot. Charlie starts sweating bullets. Jef has to propose to Miss Piggy."
- "Over 30 million viewers tuned in to 'The Bachelorette' series finale". Reality TV World. February 20, 2003. http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/over-30-million-viewers-tune-in-the-bachelorette-series-finale-978.php. Retrieved March 3, 2010.
- "'The Bachelorette' couple Trista and Ryan Sutter welcome first child". Reality TV World. July 28, 2007. http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/the-bachelorette-couple-trista-and-ryan-sutter-welcome-first-child-5581.php. Retrieved March 3, 2010.
- Posted on Apr 3, 09 at 6:20 pm (October 14, 2008). "Ryan and Trista Sutter Welcome Blakesley Grace – Celebrity Baby Blog – People.com". Celebrity-babies.com. http://celebrity-babies.com/2009/04/03/ryan-and-trista-sutter-welcome-blakesley-grace/. Retrieved March 3, 2010.
- "'Bachelorette' Meredith Phillips chooses vagabond Ian McKee in ABC series finale". Reality TV World. February 26, 2004. http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/bachelorette-meredith-phillips-chooses-vagabond-ian-mckee-in-abc-series-finale-2307.php. Retrieved March 3, 2010.
- "'Bachelorette' couple Meredith Phillips and Ian McKee announce breakup". Reality TV World. http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/bachelorette-couple-meredith-phillips-and-ian-mckee-announce-breakup-3224.php. Retrieved March 3, 2010.
- "Ohio native Jen Schefft chosen as Andrew Firestone's mate on 'The Bachelor'". Reality TV World. May 19, 2003. http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/ohio-native-jen-schefft-chosen-as-andrew-firestone-mate-on-the-bachelor-1191.php. Retrieved March 3, 2010.
- "'Bachelor' couple Andrew Firestone and Jen Schefft breakup". Reality TV World. http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/bachelor-couple-andrew-firestone-and-jen-schefft-breakup-2068.php. Retrieved March 3, 2010.
- "Turning the Tables Jenn Schefft, Andrew's Ex, Gives Love Another Try as TV's Newest Bachelorette". People. August 23, 2004. http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20145237,00.html. Retrieved March 15, 2012.
- Last names per "Ex-'Bachelor' Andrew Firestone dishes on Jen Schefft, July wedding" by Christopher Rocchio, 16 June 2008
- "ABC's 'Bachelorette 3' ends with Jen Schefft rejecting both John Paul Merritt and selected suitor Jerry Ferris". Reality TV World. http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/abc-bachelorette-3-ends-with-jen-schefft-rejecting-both-john-paul-merritt-and-selected-suitor-jerry-ferris-3278.php. Retrieved March 3, 2010.
- "Jen Schefft Pregnant – Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart Baby Talk". National Ledger. May 15, 2010. http://www.nationalledger.com/ledgerpop/printer_31793.shtml. Retrieved May 19, 2010.
- "Jen Schefft Welcomes Daughter Mae Elizabeth". People. 2010-11-15. http://celebritybabies.people.com/2010/11/15/jen-schefft-welcomes-daughter-mae-elizabeth/. Retrieved 2010-11-15.
- "Jen Schefft Welcomes Daughter Charlotte Grace". People. 2012-08-09. http://celebritybabies.people.com/2012/08/09/bachelorette-jen-schefft-welcomes-daughter-charlotte-grace/. Retrieved 2012-08-09.
- "'Bachelor' star Brad Womack rejects both Jenni Croft, DeAnna Pappas". Reality TV World. November 20, 2007. http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/bachelor-star-brad-womack-rejects-both-jenni-croft-deanna-pappas-6120.php. Retrieved March 3, 2010.
- "'Bachelorette' DeAnna Pappas picks Jesse Csincsak, gets proposal". Reality TV World. May 9, 2009. http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/bachelorette-deanna-pappas-picks-jesse-csincsak-gets-proposal-7384.php. Retrieved March 3, 2010.
- "'Bachelorette' DeAnna Pappas announces Jesse Csincsak break-up". Reality TV World. May 9, 2009. http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/bachelorette-star-deanna-pappas-announces-break-up-with-jesse-csincsak-7959.php. Retrieved March 3, 2010.
- Byrne, Alla (2011-10-22). "DeAnna Pappas Weds Stephen Stagliano". People. http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20538796,00.html.
- "Watch Full Episodes Online - The Bachelor - ABC.com". Abc.go.com. http://abc.go.com/primetime/bachelorette/index?pn=index. Retrieved March 3, 2010.
- .Former 'Bachelorette' Jillian Harris Splits From Ed Swiderski
- A Second Shot at Love: Ali's the New Bachelorette!
- 'The Bachelorette' Winner: Who Did Ali Choose?
- "'Bachelorette' break-up: Ali Fedotowsky and Roberto Martinez part ways". Entertainment Weekly. 2011-11-21. http://news-briefs.ew.com/2011/11/21/ali-fedotowsky-roberto-martinez-split/.
- Ashley Hebert announced as 'Bachelorette,' series to debut May 23. Ashley let go of Ben and agreed to J.P's proposal.
- 'Bachelorette' star Ashley Hebert weds J.P. Rosenbaum Retrieved December 2, 2012]
- 'The Bachelor' star Brad Womack picks Emily Maynard and proposes
- Emily Maynard: 'Bachelor' star Brad Womack dumped me via phone
- Aaron Parsley and Monica Rizzo (2012-01-19). "Emily Maynard Is the Next Bachelorette". http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20562452,00.html. Retrieved 2012-01-19.
- Emily Maynard named next Bachelorette: Brilliant or bored now?
- "'Bachelorette' will tape in Charlotte". The Charlotte Observer. 2012-01-19. http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/01/20/1790705/bachelorette-will-tape-in-charlotte.html. Retrieved 2012-01-25.
- Rizzo, Monica (October 16, 2012). "Bachelorette's Emily Maynard and Jef Holm End Engagement". People. http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20639494,00.html. Retrieved October 17, 2012.
- Oldenburg, Ann (March 11, 2013). "New 'Bachelorette,' 'Bachelor' TV wedding announced". USA Today. http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/people/2013/03/11/bachelor-sean-to-wed-on-tv-new-bachelorette-unveiled/1980831/. Retrieved March 15, 2013.
- Wang, Cynthia; Gray, Mark (2010-08-29). "Jesse Csincsak and Ann Lueders Wed in Las Vegas". People. http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20416538,00.html. Retrieved 2011-01-23.
- Former 'Bachelorette' Jillian Harris Splits From Ed Swiderski
- ABC. "ABC Medianet". http://www.abcmedianet.com/web/showpage/showpage.aspx?program_id=002579&type=harris. Retrieved 2011-04-15.
- "WEDDING PHOTOS: Bachelorette Contestant John Presser Marries The Bachelor's Tara Durr". RadarOnline. 2010-11-09. http://www.radaronline.com/exclusives/2010/11/wedding-photos-bachelorette-contestant-john-presser-marries-bachelors-tara-durr. Retrieved 2011-11-28.
- Monica Rizzo (2011-11-21). "Ali Fedotowsky and Roberto Martinez split". http://www.cnn.com/2011/11/21/showbiz/celebrity-news-gossip/ali-fedotowsky-roberto-martinez-split-ppl/index.html. Retrieved 2011-11-21.
- Catriona Wightman (2012-12-10). "'Bachelorette' Ali Fedotowsky, Roberto Martinez "just good friends"". http://www.digitalspy.com/celebrity/s78/the-bachelorette/news/a444341/bachelorette-ali-fedotowsky-roberto-martinez-just-good-friends.html. Retrieved 2012-12-17.
- "Bachelorette" Ashley Hebert to air wedding on ABC
- 'Bachelorette' Ashley Hebert's wedding will be televised
- Jenna Mullins (2013-02-27). "The Bachelorette: ABC Sets Premiere Date for New Season". http://www.eonline.com/news/392571/the-bachelorette-abc-sets-premiere-date-for-new-season. Retrieved 2013-03-11.
- Andrea Reiher (2013-03-11). "The next 'Bachelorette' is Desiree Hartsock". http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethebox/2013/03/the-next-bachelorette-is-desiree-hartsock.html. Retrieved 2013-03-11.