Heavy Heavy Low Low
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2008)|
|Heavy Heavy Low Low|
|Origin||San Jose, California|
|Labels||Twelve Gauge Records, Ferret Music|
|Past members||Robert "Robbie" Smith |
Danny "Stankin Rankin" Rankin
Andrew "Roo" Fritter
Ryan "Chip" Madden
Formed in early 2004 in San Jose, California, their first release entitled Courtside Seats..., was released by Twelve Gauge Records and featured their first single, "Inhalant Abuse Is Illegal And Can Be Fatal". They signed with New Weathermen Records, a division of Ferret Music, in mid-2006 and began work on their second full length. In September 2006, Everything's Watched, Everyone's Watching was released, which featured a few old songs re-done and remastered, along with numerous brand new tracks. Extensive and constant touring in support of the record ensued.
In early 2007, their out of print EP ...Fuck It?! was re-released via Ferret Music and was limited to 1,000 copies. This EP features numerous early recordings all from producer Sam Pura, including their single, "Tell Shannon Her Crafts Are Ready". It also includes current singer Robert Smith as well as previous singer Matthew Caudle. The release also features an exclusive B-Side track titled "Short Term Exposure, Long Term Damage".
They released their third full length album Turtle Nipple & The Toxic Shock August 19, 2008. In early 2009, the band left Ferret/New Weatherman Records and announced that they would resign with Twelve Gauge Records. They finally released the Hospital Bomber EP in August 2010.
Their newest EP, Hospital Bomber, has been compared to their last album regarding the coarser vocals of Robert Smith and a decidedly different musical style. In a 2010 interview discussing Hospital Bomber, Robert Smith said the track "We Incompetent Sperm" was his favorite off the EP. " I was sick at the time so my voice sounds different than the other songs and it’s a song about an old, dirty woman who worries about everything." Praise was held for their experimenting with this newer sound, incorporating aspects of jazz, punk, metal, and dissonance while prizing technical work and complete originality. Their EP is available to buy online through direct download. The band called it quits in 2009. On February 3, 2013, the band made a post regarding the break-up on their Facebook page. "HHLL is not a band. We broke up at the end of 2009 and never planned on letting anyone know because it's pathetic when bands take themselves so seriously and drag out their exit statement from the "scene". Australia was our last (and our most fun) tour ever. So thanks for liking us but this band is played the fuck out and we'll be doing newer, better things in our musical future. 38 XO"
The band has toured nationally in the US five times since 2004, including two headlining tours. The band has toured extensively with Fear Before and The Fall of Troy. Other tourmates include: The Number Twelve Looks Like You, The Jonbenet, Ed Gein, Nights Like These, Ligeia, Murder By Death, Thursday, HORSE the band, So Many Dynamos, The End, Haste the Day and Poison The Well. They also took part in the 2007 Sounds of the Underground Tour alongside the likes of GWAR, Shadows Fall, Goatwhore and Every Time I Die. They last toured with Foxy Shazam and Tera Melos in Fall of 2007.
Their most recent tour was the Stay Weird tour with Fear Before and Dr. Manhattan. They have announced a tour of Australia at the start of December 2010 with Australian band Totally Unicorn. A recent post from the band profile stated "hey, we're back from Australia and it was very fun. UK tour in the mix. Get stupid." As of April 2011 a recent post from the band stated "We are in going to be booking a last US tour for the summer with Duck Duck Goose.. Mostly major cities, more news soon." The band is no longer an active touring band.
- Robbie Smith - lead vocals (2004-2012)
- Sam Pura - guitar (2010-2012)
- Andrew Fritter - bass (2004-2012)
- Danny Rankin - guitar, backing vocals (2004-2012)
- Christopher Fritter - drums (2004-2012)
- Riley McTeague – lead vocals (2004) (Appears on 'Kids Kids Kids EP)
- Robbie Dalla – guitar
- Ryan "Chip" Madden – guitar (2004)
- Matthew Caudle – lead vocals (2004-2006)
- Courtside Seats... - (2005)
- Everything's Watched, Everyone's Watching - (2006)
- Turtle Nipple and the Toxic Shock - (2008)
- Kids Kids Kids - (2004)
- ...F**k It?! - (2007)
- Heavy Heavy Low Low EP - (2008)
- Hospital Bomber - (2010)
- Band member Danny Rankin went on to fulfill his rap career as "Stankin Rankin"
- Robert Smith also appears as a guest vocalist for various tracks with various artists. Including "Pollution People" off of Duck Duck Goose's 2010 release, "Off Yourself," "Get Your Life Together" off of Fear Before's 2008 release "Fear Before," and "Falling in Perpetuum" off NORTH's 2008 release, "What You Were.", "My Newest Vision" of Arsonists Get all the girls 2013 release, "Listen to the color"
- Band member Danny Rankin appears on the mixtape "The Adventures of Finglonger" by hip-hop artist African-American Zombie Lawyer rapping original lyrics on the song entitled, "Heavy Set Rhymes". The chorus mentions and pays homage to the band's name, Heavy Heavy Low Low.