|Genres||Alternative rock |
|Labels||Neon Gold |
|Associated acts||The Rakes|
|Max McElligott |
Jamie Jones(Touring Member)
Wolf Gang is a British alternative and symphonic rock band with Max McElligott as lead vocalist. Having played with different musicians, McElligott settled on the current live set up in late 2009 which includes Lasse Petersen (drums) previously of The Rakes, Gavin Slater (guitar), James Wood (bass), and Jamie Jones (keyboard).
Wolf Gang's first album, Suego Faults was released in July 2011 on Atlantic Records. In February 2013, the band signed a worldwide record deal with American label Cherrytree Records, an imprint of Interscope Records, and are currently writing and recording their second album, which will be released later in the year.
 Beginnings and debut album
Prior to his music career, McElligott was a student at the London School of Economics where he studied social anthropology, when he decided to take a year off to try music. Suego Faults was recorded by McElligott, all the parts and instruments were played by him. He is proficient in playing the piano, his first instrument, as well as guitar, bass, drums, keyboards, trumpet, glockenspiel and other instruments. The songs on the album were put together by McElligott and Dave Fridmann, producer of The Flaming Lips, MGMT and Mercury Rev. The two share co production credit on the album sleeve.
Having toured with Florence and the Machine, Miike Snow, and Metric, Wolf Gang went on to tour the United Kingdom, including a sold-out show at London's White Heat night. In September 2010 the band embarked on their first tour abroad which included a performance at Parklife festival in Australia.
Wolf Gang performed as part of the NME Awards in February 2011, supporting The Naked and Famous and went on to support the band on a subsequent UK and German tour. Wolf Gang also supported Editors on 26 March 2011 at the Royal Albert Hall in aid of the Teenage Cancer Trust. In June 2011 then went on to play their largest show to date supporting The Killers for Hard Rock Calling, at London's Hyde Park.
In 2011 Wolf Gang took part in Arthur's Day Music Festival in Dublin. They played alongside Aloe Blacc, Ed Sheeran and Sissor Sisters at the Olympia Theatre to a sold out crowd. The band also played at Rock en Seine, Lowlands, V Festival, Glastonbury, Bestival, T in the Park, Slottsfjell, Pukkelpop and played London Calling in Amsterdam on 11 November 2011. They then went on to headline NME Radar Tour in October 2011 which culminated in a sold out show at London's KOKO. In December 2011 the band embarked on a headline tour of Europe which included several sold out dates.
In April 2012 they played Coachella in Palm Springs. Wolf Gang also opened for Coldplay on the second leg of their Mylo Xyloto tour of the United States in the summer of 2012. Wolf Gang have confirmed via their official Twitter account that they are returning to America for a full 6 weeks headline tour in October 2012. The tour also includes a date in Canada.
BBC Radio 1's Zane Lowe premiered the single 'Lions in Cages' on his show on 4 October 2010.
The band has received airplay in the UK from the likes of Absolute Radio, XFM, BBC 6 Music, BBC Radio 2 and BBC Radio 1.
'Lions in Cages', along with the 2011 single 'Dancing with the Devil' was added to the BBC Radio 1 B List in 2011 where it was played by Fearne Cotton, Greg James, Scott Mills and Chris Moyles.
'Lions in Cages' is currently being used as the Theme Song for new British TV Occult Comedy 'Switch', which started airing in October 2012.
The theme song for the BBC television football program Final Score is Wolf Gang's "The King and All His Men."
In the US 'Lions in Cages' features in a year long 2012 nationwide TV campaign for General Motors and has also featured on the hit TV show Gossip Girl twice. The title track from the album 'Suego Faults' was used in the final scene of the closing episode of the series.
 Fashion Collaborations
The band have been associated with a range of high end fashion labels, most notably Burberry who after having them perform an acoustic version of the song "Back to Back" invited them back to perform a stripped back acoustic set for their Fashion's Night Out event in September 2011. In June 2011 they played Emporio Armani's Summer Live gig supporting Plan B. More recently Wolf Gang performed at American designer Thom Browne's collection preview for Harrods.
The band's debut album Suego Faults was written and recorded solely by McElligott, co-produced by Dave Fridmann and McElligott. It was released in July 2011. As of August 2011, work on a second, as yet untitled album, was underway.
- "Pieces of You" (Neon Gold)
- "Lions in Cages" (Atlantic Records)
- "Dancing with the Devil" (Atlantic Records)
- "The King and All of His Men" (Atlantic Records) #40 Billboard Alternative Songs
- "Back to Back" (Atlantic Records) (31 October 2011)
- Lester, Paul (24 July 2009). "New band of the day – Wolf Gang (No 592)". The Guardian. London. http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009/jul/24/new-band-wolf-gang. Retrieved 8 August 2011.
- "Wolf Gang official Myspace". Myspace. http://www.myspace.com/thisiswolfgang. Retrieved 3 November 2010.
- "Wolf Gang sign to Cherrytree Records". http://www.cherrytreerecords.com/profiles/blogs/wolf-gang-sign-to-cherrytree-records.
- Lester, Paul. "About". http://wolf-gang.co.uk/about.htm. Retrieved 25 July 2012.
- "EVERYBODY'S / News - Wolf Gang". http://www.everybody-s.com/news/wolf_gang_seugo_faults_gets_a_5_star_review_in_artrocker/.
- "Suego Faults by Wolf Gang". http://anydecentmusic.com/review/3386/Wolf-Gang-Suego-Faults.aspx.
- "Wolf Gang". http://pitchfork.com/artists/28721-wolf-gang/.
- "Dollars to Pounds: Wolf Gang - The FADER". http://www.thefader.com/2011/08/04/dollars-to-pounds-wolf-gang/.
- "95. Wolf Gang". GQ. http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/entertainment/articles/2011-12/01/100-best-things-in-the-world/viewgallery/95. Retrieved 29 July 2012.
- "Lions in Cages Video". MTV. http://www.mtv.co.uk/artists/wolf-gang/video/lions-in-cages. Retrieved 8 August 2011.
- "Groove Armada and Missy Elliott to headline Parklife!". Onion.com.au. 9 June 2010. http://www.onion.com.au/article/1053. Retrieved 8 August 2011.
- "NME Awards: The Naked And Famous + Wolf Gang + Spark". Time Out. http://www.timeout.com/london/music/event/209386/nme-awards-the-naked-and-famous-wolf-gang-spark. Retrieved 8 August 2011.
- "Behind the scenes". Teenage Cancer Trust. http://www.teenagecancertrust.org/what-we-do/royal-albert-hall/2011/day-6-3/. Retrieved 8 August 2011.
- "Wolf Gang to headline Emerge NME Radar tour". NME. 2 August 2011. http://www.nme.com/news/wolf-gang/58381. Retrieved 8 August 2011.
- "Wolf Gang December European Tour '11". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VyVjFLTxMg.
- "Wolf Gang at Coachella 2012". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8yMpfYDFaY.
- "Wolf Gang confirms headliner tour via twitter". https://twitter.com/wolfgang/status/230000129510367234.
- "We're pleased to report that Keane will be supported by @WolfGang at the upcoming UK arena shows". https://twitter.com/keaneofficial/status/235784380231065600.
- "BBC Radio 1 Programmes - Zane Lowe, Hype Night". http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00v10fy.
- "BBC - BBC Radio 1 Programmes - Nick Grimshaw, Wolf Gang plays the pop quiz and Trash Talk comes in Fresh off Stage". http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00w10c4.
- "BBC - BBC Radio 1 Programmes - Radio 1s Review Show, 29/03/2011". http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00zlf0k#p00fzyhy.
- "BBC - BBC Radio 2 Programmes - Jo Whiley presents a mix of great new music and classic album tracks.". http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b012r8bt#p00jdb94.
- "BBC - BBC Radio 1 Programmes - Fearne Cotton". http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00vf3c5.
- "BBC - BBC Radio 1 Programmes - Greg James, Tuesday - Adele makes Greg cry!". http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00yqhqx.
- "BBC - BBC Radio 1 Programmes - Scott Mills, Thursday - Home and Away... in the hairdressers". http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00yyfzh.
- "BBC - BBC Radio 1 Programmes - The Chris Moyles Show". http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00z51x7.
- [ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrarouJB_s4 "2012 GMC Terrain Commercial"]. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrarouJB_s4 .
- "Gossip Girl soundtrack Wolf Gang - Lions In Cages". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57HBBX1zryo .
- "Back to Back by Wolf Gang - Burberry Acoustic". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyG6dbvRQrw.
- "Fashion's Night Out London 2011". http://www.vogue.co.uk/special-events/fashions-night-out-2011.
- "Emporio Armani Summer Live: Wolf Gang". http://www.dazeddigital.com/music/article/10725/1/emporio-armani-summer-live-wolf-gang.
- "Wolf Gang by Thom Browne". http://bontonist.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/wolfgang-by-thom-browne-harrods.html.
- Sullivan, Caroline (21 July 2011). "Wolf Gang: Suego Faults – review". The Guardian. London. http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011/jul/21/wolf-gang-suego-faults-review. Retrieved 8 August 2011.
- Gillespie, Duncan (19 July 2011). "Album Review: Wolf Gang - 'Suego Faults'". NME. http://www.nme.com/reviews/wolf-gang/12219. Retrieved 8 August 2011.
- "Wolf Gang already working on second album". NME. 29 July 2011. http://www.nme.com/news/wolf-gang/58339. Retrieved 8 August 2011.
- "Wolf Gang – Suego Falls". Chartstats.com. http://www.chartstats.com/release.php?release=50469. Retrieved 8 August 2011.
- "GOLD 005: WOLF GANG". http://neongoldrecords.blogspot.co.uk/2009/06/gold-005-wolf-gang.html.